Chapter 6 + 7

Bleh. Sorry this is so late, I haven't been having fun in real life... sigh. Vote and comment if you like it!

Also, I've been working on sentence structure so tell me how everything reads, if its smooth, if the long sappy sentences work, etc. :) Thanks, I'm trying to get better at writing because let's just say it's not my strongest suit haha!

----------------------------------------

Chapter 6

"Oh, uh, Your Majesty, I was just leaving," a nervous servant girl said as Emma walked into her and David's bedroom. She had needed a break in the midst of all the dimplomatic nonsense that was surrounding the Vampire monarchs, so she had quietly dismissed herself from the lunch banquet early.

"No, no, stay," Emma smiled wanly at the girl, who seemed to be about the same age as her. "I need someone normal in the room for once."

She flopped down on a couch, closing her eyes. After a moment of silence, the sounds of rustling sheets started from the direction of her bed. The girl must have stayed after all. A small smile graced Emma's lips. She never had any friends among the servants; most servants were either timid or vindictive, focusing solely on climbing the social ladder.

Emma sat up, feeling slightly refreshed. "What's your name?" she asked. The servant girl turned around quickly to face Emma.

"Lara, Majesty," she stuttered. She reminded Emma so much of herself.

"Call me Emma," she murmured. "After all, I was a servant a few weeks ago too."

For the first time, Emma wondered what her life would be like at that moment if she hasn't met David. Probably miserable,just like it had been before. To support her invalid mother, Emma had to work herself to the bone, taking extra shifts, spending little to no money in herself, and quietly taking everything that was thrown her way.

Lara turned and gave Emma a small smile. "You're so lucky," she gushed. "You're the king's mate now; you don't have to work anymore."

"Yeah..." Emma said uncertainly. "I wish it was like that."

"Emma, Que--" David walked briskly into the room and abruptly stopped when he saw his queen and a servant talking to each other. "What's going on here? Was this servant bothering you, mate?"

He glared at Lara, who cowered under his gaze. "N-no, not at all, David," Emma tried her best to reassure her mate, but she wasn't sure it worked. "We were just talking."

"Leave," he ordered, making Lara scurry out, cleaning tools in hand. "You shouldn't associate with servants."

Anger rose in Emma. Lately she had been so angry and bold, like never before. "Why? Because I'm so much better than them?" she challenged, staring her mate down. "If you remember, I was just like her a few weeks ago! I'm supposed to be different?"

"Yes!" David snapped, letting his anger get the best of him as well. But of course, that was expected; David's temper often raged out of control. "You're the queen now!"

"Well, maybe I don't want to be one," Emma said, her voice rising.

David stared at his angry mate. She was so infuriating, yet sensitive. Her hair hung in wisps around her face, having come undone in her rage, her dress was wrinkled, her face was red, her eyes were narrowed unattractively, her stance was that of a fighter, yet she was still soft and fragile in his eyes -- she was still beautiful. He calmed down a bit, taking a deep breath. "You don't want to be queen? You don't want to be my mate?" he questioned. "I see now."

"No! That's not what I meant," Emma's eyes widened; she was scared David would leave her and she would have to go back to her miserable, mate-less life. Except now it would be worse -- she now knew the warmth and safety that having a mate brought, the rejection of a mate would kill her. "I-- I never asked for this."