Prologue

Prologue

Everything started with the drop of the glass. As the delicate crystal plumetted to certain doom on the marble floor, the golden liquid inside sloshed out, arcing gracefully to splash on the tiles. The delicate tinkle of the glass breaking seemed to ring throughout the grand hall. Nobody moved.

Emma stared at the broken glass on the ground, her heart thudding out of her chest. How was she going to recover? Would  she survive with her pelt intact? Her gaze darted to the head of the hall, where two opulent golden thrones resided. Emma didn't look at luxury in the hall, however, her panic-stricken gaze was on the occupant in the throne to her left -- King David.

The nobles decked in pearls and lace around her were silent. No one dared make a mistake in the presence of the Were King. One mistake surely led to imprisonment or worse, death. Emma's gaze connected with the King's cold hazel eyes for a split second before she realized her second error. Nobody looked the King in the eye. 

The King stood. The lords and ladies before him parted like the Red Sea as he strode towards Emma, still hunched over the broken glass. Her knuckles, white from clutching her serving tray, grew whiter.

"I- I'm terribly sorry, Majesty," she choked as she curtsied deeply and remained in a subservient position. She saw his polished boots stop before her and she shivered unconciously.

"Come." Emma tentatively straightened, seeing a gloved hand before her. It was the king's. Unsure of how to proceed, Emma froze.

"Take my hand," the King said. "Look at me, mate."

At the word "mate," gasps rippled through the crowd. Mates in the Were world were sacred; a Were's mate would be their life partner, their one true love. Mates transcended social classes. Emma's eyes widened as they rose to meet the King's. She gulped and whispered, "Mate?"

The King's eyes shone with kindness, something the court had never seen before. Murmurs and whispers rustled through the nobles like wind in trees as the gossip spread. 

"Mate," the King said as he dragged Emma towards the exit.

-----------------------

Hey guys! This is just a short message (there won't be too many of these, I promise), to thank you for reading the start of my book! I'll try to update it as often as possible, but meanwhile....

Vote and comment!!!

~@~Europia~@~