Chapter 1 -- Part 1

Chapter 1

Emma woke up to the morning light streaming in from the window. For a moment, her location confused her; her servant's quarters had no windows. Turning to her left, attempting not to rustle the sheets too loudly, she fondly gazed upon her mate. 

David had been the perfect gentleman so far. Her social standing -- far below his -- didn't seem to bother him. For that matter, no nobles had harassed Emma at all. Emma ran a hand through her hair, pausing at the nape of her neck, where the feathers that signified her Avian heritage grew. A Werewolf mated to an Avian, how was that going to work? Interspecies mating was rare, if not unheard of.

But surely if anyone could succeed, her mate would. He was the King of all Weres, after all. Once again, Emma's attention turned to her sleeping mate, his dark bed head, and his leanly sculpted shoulders. She shivered as she recalled the previous week's events.

Yes, David had been a perfect gentleman to her, but not to others. He ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. Emma had never experienced his famed temper and coldness in proximity until now, and from what she had seen, she was glad that she ended up being his mate the day she spilled champagne on the floor. David was ruthless.

Just two days before, another unfortunate servant had almost spilled wine of the floor, just as Emma had. David didn't execute him, thank the gods, but the servant was fired and banished from palace grounds. Emma was still slightly intimidated by her mate, so she said nothing as the whimpering servant was led out.

"Good morning," David said as he woke up, smiling. Emma smiled back, but did not respond. Confusion flitted across David's face. "Is there something wrong?"

"N-no, nothing," Emma stammered. A terrible thought crossed her mind, what if David tired of her? What would happen to her, and possibly her children? She knew it was early to be thinking of children, but it was inevitable that, as the King's mate, she would be expected to bear heirs for him.

David sat up, combing his fingers through his hair roughly. Emma resisted the urge to flinch. "Mate," he pulled Emma into a warm hug. She shivered from the contact, pleasure and fear coursing through her veins. He let go of her, sensing discomfort. "You don't trust me."

Emma didn't know what to do. How was she to respond to that? Of coruse she didn't trust him. David was ruthless, cold, and unforgiving. Yet around her, he was perfect and warm, the perfect mate. She had no way to tell which was the real David, her real mate. 

"I have to trust you," Emma said, suddenly proud she didn't stutter for once. "You're my mate."

"But you don't," David insisted, staring into Emma's  dark brown eyes. He raised his hand, as if to stroke her auburn hair or face, but put it back down. Emma blushed, she really wasn't used to romantic encounters. As if she had a chance to be romantically involved outside of work.

A knock on the door interrupted David, who had opened his mouth to speak. "What?" he growled,  stepping out of bed. His advisor, Samuel, slowly opened the mahogany door. Samuel was a lean, tall blond with shockingly light eyes. Where David was harsh, Samuel was kind, soothing disgruntled nobles and servants alike after harrowing encounters with the young king. 

"You're needed in the Chamber for the meeting concerning agricultural trade, Majesty," Samuel bowed slightly to show respect. David grumbled, throwing on simple pants and a white shirt before stalking out. Emma awkwardly stayed in the bed, unsure of how to interact with Samuel, who remained in the room.

"Forgot my crown," David mumbled as he dipped his head back into the room to grab the crown on the table next to the door. After he left, Emma simply stared at Samuel as he smiled kindly. "I'm sure you're having a hard time adjusting to David, Highness," Samuel said. 

Emma nodded. She was definitely struggling. "I don't know what to make of him," she said nervously. 

Samuel nodded sagely. "David is often misunderstood, quite frankly. He's very... abrasive around most people, but you must understand that he values mating beyond all else. Considering his history, his faith in mates and love is a bit surprising, I must say," Samuel dirfted off into thought. Emma frowned. History?

"What do you mean?" Emma inquired, her voice unwavering. She sat up straighter in the grand bed, the silk and linen sheets rustling. "What history?"

Samuel looked nervous, clutching the binder he carried to his chest. "Oh, uh... I thought he would have told you, being his mate and a--" he corrected himself again, blushing. "Terrible sorry, Highness, but it's not my place to share."

After his unsatisfactory and confusing answer, Samuel scurried out of the room, shutting the door behind him quietly. 

And thus, Emma found herself lost, confused, and alone for the second time of her life.

--------------------

ooo second time? what's that mean... hehe :)

Vote and comment! <3