Chapter 9

ok in the interest of keeping this story pg 13, the "dirty troll" scenes (LOL) have been posted on my profile for fans only! sorry, don't wanna get in trouble with wattpad... if you have fanned me and are having trouble, the external link is the restricted chapter!

Also, I think I've been really unclear about the setting for this book. It's quasi-medieval but not really, but to be honest, I have no idea haha. I think of it as totally separate from Earth, if it helps at all. So think whatever you want? This book is definitely not Pullitzer prize material, though, so... don't expect much? I started it on a whim and that's probably how it will end haha.

Lastly, a galette is a kind of French pastry that is flat-ish. Just for future reference ;)

-------------------

Chapter 9

Emma smiled at David as he held her hand, twine attaching their hands. The priest tucked a single peony into the twine, symbolising the completion of the mate bond. She looked out to the audience, surrounded by a magical arrangement of pink flowers and white drapes next to the forest. Her mother was the only guest from her side present, but she wouldn't have it any other way -- seeing the pride and happiness in her eyes made everything just a bit more perfect than it was.

"You may now kiss your mate," the priest smiled, bringing Emma's attention back to her mate. He was just so perfect, with his stormy yet dreamy eyes and strong jaw. The corners of her lips would not uncurl from their smile as their lips met, officially sealing their bond for all eternity.

They pulled apart from the brief, chaste, yet wholly overwhelming kiss and rested their foreheads together. "I love you," Emma breathed. David stiffened for a split moment before he grinned widely and whispered, "I love you too."

He picked her up quickly and carried his mate up to their room as their subjects clapped around them. "Back to the real world," Emma sighed, thinking of all the planning and preparation to be done before the war. 

"Nope, later," David growled as he set Emma on the bed and planted hot kisses along her jawline. "Gods, I love you. I love you so much."

"Mmmm," Emma moaned, all coherent thoughts lost in the moment. Her slender arms tightened around David's neck, holding him close as he placed hot kisses on her neck.

"Oh, gods," David breathed as the pair sealed their union.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emma woke up the next morning as she felt a finger caress the hair on the side of her face. Her mate's arm cocooned her close to his chest, creating a pocket of warmth that she never wanted to leave.

She shifted closer to his muscular chest. "Did I wake you?" David's warm breath swept over Emma's ear as he greeted her.

"Yes," she smiled, turning to face him. Her head rested on his arm as she burrowed into the cavity of his neck and shoulder. He smiled at her softly, his hand moving from her waist to her face as he cupped her soft cheek.

"Sire," a knock at the door broke the couple from a blissful haze. "The war council convenes in an hour. If you wish to have breakfast, you must rise now."

"I'll be right out. Tell the cook to prepare a galette, nothing to fancy," David reluctantly rose from bed, leaving his beautiful, naked mate beneath the sheets. Emma blushed as David made no effort to cover his own nakedness.

He took a moment to send her a small smirk, knowing why his mate was blushing. "Emma," he said as he pulled on pants, "I was going to give you more time to settle into your position, but the war will not allow you to adjust. I'm afraid you'll have to ready the palace for war."

"Alright," Emma was uncormfortable doing such an important task. Preparing a palace for war meant procuring supplies, creating evacuation plans for the servants and nearby villagers, and readying medical supplies, among other things. "Will Queen Petrova be helping me? Or will she be in the war council with her mate?"

David poked Emma's nose playfully, happy that his mate was willing to shoulder the task. "She will help you get started I believe. And remember, vampires have beloveds, not mates," he smiled. "Although I think she will have to prepare her own palace for war."

"Vampires have palaces?" Emma frowned slightly. No one really knew, to be honest. Few beings that ventured into vampire territory survived to tell the tale.

"I imagine so," David mused, grabbing clothes for Emma. His voice dropped to a dramatic whisper. "They have such big egos, how could they not?"

Emma chuckled as she rose as well, delicately shielding her body from view with the clothing David had given her. She knew he had already seen her naked, but old habits die hard.

"Sire," Samuel's voice was outside the door once again. "Breakfast is ready."

"We'll be out momentarily," David replied. He grabbed his crown from the table next to the door and handed Emma hers. Perhaps it was time for a short coronation. Pomp and circumstance would not be possible since every resource would be going to the war, but a small ceremony couldn't hurt. The thought slipped his mind as he prepared for the council.

Emma finished her apple-filled galette quickly and rose to find Petrova. She pecked David shyly on the cheek, prompting smiles from the surrounding nobles in the midst of their own breakfasts. He wore his "ruler face," as Emma liked to call his impassive, cold face, but she knew he appreciated the show of affection judging by the twitch in his lips and the happiness that radiated from his being.

"Petrova!" Emma found the queen in a gilt hallway near the vampires' quarters. The elegant queen was close to kissing her beloved, who was just out of view. Emma blushed furiously.

"Pardon, I didn't see you there, King Alexei," she said politely.

"Yes, one of the many faults of the shifter species, so eager and ready to charge into anything," the king drawled, pulling his collar straight. He smoothed his long black hair, where his queen had her fingers twined just moments ago.

"That's funny," Emma folded her arms on her chest. "You two seemed awfully impulsive when I found you. A shifter noblewoman caught doing that would have had her virtue compromised."

Petrova coughed loudly, but her cough sounded forced. Her beloved glared at her. "If this little dalliance is over," he said haughtily, "There is a war council to attend."

"Of course, dear heart," Petrova smiled and glided to Emma's side. "We women are off to our domestic chores on this fine, humdrum day."

Emma let a dramatic sigh escape her lips. She and Petrova exchanged an amused glance as Alexei huffed and left. "Men," Petrova rolled her eyes with utmost grace. "What would we do without them?"

"Languish," Emma giggled. "With our intelligence wasted on each other."

The thousand year old queen and the young queen-to-be laughed, linked arms, and headed to the kitchen.

-----------------------------------

Hallo, sorry this is so late and short-ish. But it was a good place to end, and you'll be seeing the rated-r scene shortly :)

UPDATE: the rated-r scene can now be found on my profile, for FANS ONLY (sorry dear ghost readers :)). it's titled Racy, ain't it? if you have trouble finding it :)