Chapter 1 -- Part 2

Can I just say that I love everyone that reads this? Honestly, I didn't think it would EVER get this much attention. Seriously, <3.

~Europia~

-----------------------------

Chapter 1 -- Part 2

It was happening again. Emma stood one step back and to David's left, watching silently as another servant was led out for a meaningless mistake. She didn't even see what had happened, but it was obviously inconsequential. She shook with anger. Why was her mate so cruel? 

Emma stepped forward, now level with David. "Could I talk to you?" Emma said, laying her hand on David's lean arm. She addressed the guards that had the poor servant girl in hand, "Please, stop for a moment while I talk to the king."

The guards stopped, confused. David frowned as he looked down at his delicate mate. Her doe-like eyes held a quiet strength that surprised him, and her soft, pink lips were set and tense. While the pair stared at each other in an impasse, all that could be heard was an occasional sniffle from the servant, whose guards looked back and forth between their rulers.

"Fine." David nodded to the guards, who temporarily released their hold on the servant. He took Emma's hand and led her outside. She felt an overwhleming sense of dread creeping through her conciousness; what had she done? Where had that come from? Asking David to talk had been so rash, Emma had no idea what she was going to say.

They passed under the doorway and walked down the gilded hallway. "What did you want to say?" David inquired gravely. He seemed slightly displeased.

"Uh..." was all Emma could say.

"Well?" David asked impatiently. Emma gulped. She was in for it. David had been oushed too far. mate or not, Emma was destined for the wolves, literally. Who knows what cruel and unusual punishment he was going to concoct for his disobedient mate?

"L-look," Emma cursed herself for stuttering, "I just think that... well... you're a bit harsh to your servants."

"They're just servants," was his reply. Emma prickled with sudden irritation. Did she just hear him correctly? Was not his mate a servant just weeks ago?

"Servants are people too," Emma said, suddenly gaining confidence. "I was a servant too. You terrify everybody here, David. Is that really necessary?"

"Mate, watch what you say," David growled, his eyes narrowing and his fists clenching. His angular features became more emphasized as his wolf side showed through. Emma flinched back. Now she was definitely in trouble. David's features softened as he saw his mate's flinch.

"You aren't just a servant, Emma, you're my mate," he cupped her cheek in his large hand. Emma leaned into his touch instinctively, relishing the contact.

"But you banish people for such minor things," Emma persisted. 

"Do you think I should let infractions go without punishment?" David asked, confused. He dropped his hand and Emma immediately missed the comforting contact. She realized why he was so harsh. He didn't know any better. She wondered why this was so, didn't his father teach him how to rule fairly? She hadn't ever heard anything bad about the previous king, who died when she was seven. 

"No! There are other ways to punish people," Emma said, losing confidence quickly. "Y-you could give them a warning first or..."

"So you're asking me to be kind to my subjects?" David still seemed perplexed. "But all people understand is fear."

"What?" Emma exclaimed. She took a step back. "That's not true. You can be kind but still firm, mate."

David cocked his head, every bit the confused wolf. "I don't understand," he said. Emma sighed. She took his hand and led him back towards the ballroom. "Let me show you," she said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His mate had turned out to be a little spitfire. David had his reservations about her in the beginning; she seemed so fragile and shy when they first met. But she was oh so beautiful. Her blond hair was like white gold, pale and luxurious. She always dressed in long skirts and a simple tee shirt, but she always looked elegant. 

Her small hand in his was soft, but her slender fingers held onto his with surprising grip. He stared at her from behind as they headed back towards the ballroom. He wasn't sure his mate was the best person to teach him, the king, how to rule, but he obliged her nevertheless. 

"Let her go," Emma said as they entered. She let go of David's hand and walked to the servant, who had tripped and spilled some wine on a noble's robes. The noble had said it was fine, but David knew that if the servant had made a mistake once, it would happen again. 

"Are you okay?" Emma smiled at the servant. She was so gorgeous right then. Gratitude for the gods washed over David as he realized how lucky he was to find his mate. "You can stay. However a small fee will be docked from your pay this month. Please don't do that again, otherwise you'll be punished more serverely."

The servant beamed at her queen and hugged her tightly, crying. "Thank you, my queen. You are generous and kind," the servant choked out. Emma tensed for a moment, but hugged the servant back. 

The nobles and David were aghast. Murmurs swept through the nobles that were too quiet for David to hear. He stared at his mate in wonderment. How could she do this? Now who knows how many servants would be running willy nilly through the castle with no fear of punishment?

"My queen and I are done for the day, don't bother us" David grabbed Emma's hand and dragged her away. He strode through the hallways with Emma struggling to keep up. The pair got back to their room, and David heaved himself onto the bed roughly, letting go of Emma.

"That's not how you rule," David snapped. Emma frowned and cowered slightly. Guilt flashed through David's system, so he tried to calm down. 

"I'm sorry," he apologized. "But you can't understand, you aren't a ruler."

Emma frowned. "I'm going to be your queen, shouldn't you listen to me?" 

David shrugged. "Technically we haven't set a date for the coronation or the mating ceremony yet."

As soon as he said that, he regretted it. As hurt, anger, and sadness flashed through Emma's eyes, David felt a knife go through his chest. But his pride wouldn't let him comfort her, apologize, tell her he would listen to her.

"I need to get out for a bit," Emma turned and ran out of the room to the marble balcony outside. David followed her, hoping she wouldn't do anything stupid. His heart stopped as she leapt off the balcony railing, and again as she shifted into a hawk. How could he have not known she was an avian?

Cursing himself for his stupidity and insensitivity, David shifted into his wolf, jumped off of the balcony, and sprinted after his mate, who was swiftly crossing the palace grounds, heading towards the forest. 

------------------------------

^_^