Rebound

Angst
Human AU
TW: break-ups, unrequited love, alcohol, and mentions of sex. Oh, and they're brothers in this one.

Code Blue

Remus jumped off the couch and put his jeans on that he'd thrown on the floor. His roommate sent him a questioning look before watching the TV again. Remus grabbed his wallet and keys, putting his shoes on as he ran out the door. He had to make a couple stops before getting to his brother's apartment. The grocery store and the liquor store. He barely paid attention to the speed limit, more worried about getting to his brother's side. And he didn't bother knocking when he got to the apartment. He grabbed a few things from the kitchen and made his way into the bedroom. "Alright, got the supplies. I have tissues, the movies, three different ice creams, two bottles of vodka, a bottle of whiskey, and a lighter. Is the bucket still in your closet? Yep, there it is."

Remus set the bags and bucket on the foot of the bed. He frowned and sat beside his twin, who was sobbing into his knees. Remus wrapped a blanket around him and hugged him to his chest. "Ro, it's gonna be okay..."

"We dated for a year and got engaged, Re... He was different..." Roman mumbled through his sobs. "He was supposed to be the one."

Remus sighed softly, mostly out of frustration. Not that he'd tell Roman that. It was just that Roman was always dating and letting his romantic fantasies run a little wild, which was bad when they broke up. Everyone he dated was "the one." But couldn't he see that he had someone sitting right next to him who loved him more than anyone else in the entire world? Remus just wanted Roman to realize that. "Ready for ice cream yet?"

Roman shook his head and sniffled. Remus opened the tissues and handed the box to Roman. "I want whiskey."

Remus nodded and opened the bottle, handing it to his brother. "Just take it slow, remember? I'll get a movie ready for when you are, 'kay?"

"You're the best, Re." Roman mumbled around the bottle at his lips. Remus hummed and put a movie in the DVD player. Once, he would've loved to hear those words, but at this point it only hurt. Every compliment from him was just a punch to the gut. Remus sat on the bed and pulled Roman against him, just holding him as he cried and drank. Sometimes he mumbled something about his newest ex and that would start the waterworks again. Eventually, the tears dried and he was ready for ice cream and movies. Even if Remus was hurting too, he could never let his brother down or not take care of him. He would do anything for Roman. So, he dished up bowls of ice cream, put on movies, opened bottles of liquor, and pushed his feelings aside. And a few hours later, they were sitting outside on the balcony and burning photos and mementos in the bucket Remus pulled from the closet. Roman would keep one photo from the box he kept of memories that was labelled with his ex's name and held everything he was burning. Things that couldn't be burned were thrown in a trash bag that Remus would take out later. After that, was the one thing that Remus grew to dread the most.

The first time, Remus was just happy to have something, but after awhile it hurt more than the compliments. He supposed it was punishment for loving someone he couldn't have. And he knew the truth: He would only ever be used as a rebound for Roman. Nothing more would come of it. But still, he'd do anything for Roman. So, if he asked to have sex to get over his latest heartbreak, Remus would take off his clothes and get on the bed. He'd do anything, even if he'd only ever be a rebound.

Feb. 11, 2021 18:36