Cheater

Angst
Human AU (Not Related)
TW: caught cheating, swearing, let me know of anything else that should be added. Sorry for any mistakes, I wrote it rather quickly surprisingly.

Remus climbed the tree in the backyard of the house he used to live in. Now, his friend lived in it alone. He shimmied across the limb that stretched out to his old bedroom window and pried it open easily. Moans came from the neighboring room, but Remus ignored it without even making jokes in his head. His mind was too focused on pulling out the floorboard he'd hidden something important under. Soon, he was holding a small, red velvet box in his hands. It made him smile for a moment.

"Patton, please!" Someone moaned loudly, catching Remus' attention. His eyebrows furrowed as the voice seemed familiar, "I'm so close, please, Pat, please-"

The voice was cut off, but Remus heard enough to place the voice. He felt frozen on the floor, heart clenching, and tears forming in his wide, green eyes. Slowly, Remus stood and stumbled to the window with the box clutched in his hand. He stuffed it in his pocket as he climbed back out onto the tree and down onto the ground. The world around him dissolved as his mind refused to process what he'd heard as he made his way down the street. Somehow, he made it to his apartment a couple blocks away and inside without accident. He slumped onto a barstool in the kitchen and stared at the counter with a blank face. Finally, his brain formed a coherent thought: Roman cheated.

It felt as though Remus' heart burst, pain spreading through his chest. The tears in his eyes fell freely like a broken dam. Remus dropped his head onto the counter, bringing his arms up to hide his head under as he began to sob. Three years. Three happy years of dating Roman. They had their disagreements like any couple, but they worked through them. They were happy. At least Remus thought they were. Sure, he'd been away a bit more the past few months than usual, but Roman was the one who encouraged him to go on tour with his band. Did he want him to go so he could spend more time with Patton? Did the cheating start before or after? What had Remus done or not done to cause this? Remus' thoughts continued to spiral as he sobbed on the kitchen counter. The pain in his chest was almost unbearable.

An hour later, Remus found himself calming down. The tears had stopped, the sobs gone, and hiccups fading away. Remus grabbed a towel that had been on the counter and wiped his face on it. His face became blank once more as he stared at the counter again. His head throbbed and felt heavy from crying, but his fuzzy thoughts became clear as he looked back on his relationship. Almost six months ago, Roman was having more late nights and going out more while Remus was gone. Roman started hiding his phone screen from Remus, not even letting him hold it anymore. Remus felt like his brain was over-exaggerating, but then again, he'd just heard his boyfriend in bed with one of their friends. The more he thought, the more he noticed the signs that something hadn't been right. Remus wanted to scream at himself for being so stupid and naive. How could he have been so blind? How could he have convinced himself that he was good enough to marry Roman?

Remus jumped as his phone began playing one of Roman's favorite songs. He pulled it from his pocket and looked at the picture of Roman surrounded by hearts on his screen. Clearing his throat, he tested his voice until it didn't sound like he had been crying. By then, the call stopped, and his screen changed to his lock screen of the two of them on their second-year anniversary. The picture almost made him cry again, but he forced himself to take a deep breath. Once he thought he could muster up the will to act, he called Roman back.

"Greetings, my love! Why didn't you answer me?" Roman pouted on the other end.

"Sorry, the others are being nuisances." Remus was surprised by how easily he lied, and his somewhat expressive voice was a surprise. He thought the most he'd do was have a monotone voice like the bass player in his band usually did. "What're you up to?"

"Oh, nothing, just finished up some me time. Face mask, bath, wine, the whole thing. Thank Janus for the suggestions, will you? Best self-care night I've had for awhile!" Roman laughed. Remus frowned at the sound that normally made him smile. How could he be so happy? Remus supposed it was because he just had a good fuck. Roman yawned and groaned as he stretched, "Mm, I'm tired. Guess I better get to what I wanted to say! I don't know how busy you'll be tomorrow, so I wanted to tell you happy three-year anniversary now! Three years, babe, can you believe it?"

"Feels like I've only blinked since I first saw you..." Remus' heart squeezed as he spoke quietly, "Sorry I couldn't spend it with you."

"It's okay, you stay out there and get famous! I'll be fine here, trust me. I've always got Patton to keep me company." Remus winced as he realized Roman was probably making sure he wasn't coming back to interrupt him and Patton. And the fact he was practically confessing to cheating right then and there hurt Remus more than he thought he could hurt in that moment. Roman continued after another yawn, "I miss you, love you. I want to keep talking, but I'm so sleepy, and I'm sure you need to rest up too. Goodnight, love."

"Night." Remus managed to say, hanging up shortly after. Anger sparked inside him, catching fire and melting his sorrow into a puddle in the back of his mind. More hot tears poured down his face as his anger burned through him. How could Roman hurt him so badly and be so nonchalant? How could he act like nothing was wrong? How dare he say he loved Remus when he did this to him? Remus got to his feet and ran to the bedroom as his rage overpowered him. Bursting inside, he beelined for the closet and began pulling clothes out. The small pile wasn't enough. Remus searched the apartment for every gift they'd given each other, bringing them all to the bedroom. Once he had everything he could remember, he started in on the pile. He tore apart Roman's favorite sweater, at least he said it was his favorite. Every piece of clothing was torn, cut up, and thrown onto the bed. The mugs, dishes, and glass objects were thrown up and hit with Remus' wooden bat. Most shattered on impact, and those that weren't were smashed against the wall he aimed at anyway. Photos and art pieces were torn up, CDs and movies broken, a Disney-themed thermos beaten in by the bat, stuffed animals cut open and dissected, and books ripped apart. He destroyed every gift so he wouldn't have to relive the memories and because Roman didn't deserve the gifts.

Remus finished the pile, his anger somewhat cooled down. He threw the bat aside, looking at the disaster he'd created. The puddle of sorrow turned the sparks to embers, and it flooded his mind once more. He collapsed to the floor and let himself cry on top of the mess. The stabbing pain increased to a feeling of being torn open. He had been wrong about the pain before; this hurt more than Remus could've possibly imagined. He supposed that meant he'd truly loved Roman, and he still did. He loved him so much. How could he do this? Remus sobbed and sobbed until he wore himself out to the point he passed out there on the floor.

When morning came, Remus forced himself up. His body felt heavy and empty at the same time. He began to pick up his mess, putting it all on the bed, even all the glass. The ring box in his pocket went on top. He couldn't return it, and he didn't want it. So, he left it right on top for Roman to see. Remus wondered if last night's actions were an overreaction, but he found that he didn't much care. He packed up what he had left and took it out to his car. He'd drive back to the band instead of catching a flight, even though flying would probably be safer for him in his state of mind. A single thought of waiting for Roman to come back crossed his mind, but he knew he couldn't face him. Instead, he took his car keys, left his apartment key beside the ring, and got in his car. He checked his phone and quickly changed his lock screen and home screen when he saw them. He'd go through his photos later. Right now, he wanted get as far away from Roman and Patton as possible. With his music cranked up and body numb, he began the long drive across the country.

22:37 June 14, 2021