Ch. 20

Tex is seen walking into the Freelancer classroom, holding the dog tag she found in her locker. Tennessee besides her.

Tex walks up to one of the desk's and plugs in the data unit on the dog tag. A prerecorded message from C.T. appears on the screen.

"Agent Texas.... Allison. If you're reading this, then that means I escaped. Or, well at the very least, I'm probably not around anymore."

Tex turned her head and looked at Tennessee, he had a dark maroon figure on his shoulder.

"I wanted to leave behind all the data I've been collecting about Project Freelancer. I never could shake the feeling that something was wrong the program; the secrets, the lies, the manipulation. Smoke. All of it. Obscuring a big damn fire. I did some digging, and now I know what the Director has been hiding. What he did."

"He broke the law, Allison. The one law they don't just slap you on the wrist for. I'm taking the originals with me as an insurance policy. I leave this copy for you not because you are the best solider in the squad, but because I know that I can trust you the most. After reading these files you will understand why. Good luck. Your friend, Connie."

The message ends and new files appear on the screen containing all the data that C.T. collected.

"This is..." Tex muttered.

"AI Experimentation, Mission Logs, Personnel File, Financials, Video Surveillance. All of it. This is what I wanted to talk to you about." Tennessee grumbled.

Tex opens the "AI Experimentation" file.

A description of the Alpha AI appears on screen first. She scrolls to the next AI, Beta, but the file is password protected.

Tex continues scrolling through the rest of the AI files along with the emotions each AI stems from. Omega Rage/Anger, Gamma Deceit, Delta Logic, Theta Trust, Seraphim Wrath, and Sigma Ambition/Creativity.

She then begins to scroll through a range of other available emotions. She scrolls back to the password protected "Beta" A.I. file.

Various images of Allison to appear on screen. Tex reads over the Beta A.I. profile. She then examines an image of Allison.

Tex calmly moves her hand across an image of Allison.

Tex raises her fist and clenches it.

"Do you understand now?" Tennessee asked with a tilted head.

"Yes. I understand. I understand that I need to leave." Tex gets up.

"I'm coming with you." Tennessee announced, Tex turned to him shocked.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Why?"

"This project isn't what I thought it was. I was a marine, like you. When the police and military fired at me, I realized I was in the wrong." Tennessee clenched his fist and Seraphim's form burned brightly.