Ch. 23

"Simmons, what are we looking for?"

"Power cells, batteries, anything."

"How is a power cell different from a battery?"

"Grif, this is not the time!"

Explosions followed by gunfire.

"Hey, did you hear that?"

"Yeah... I did... Come on Grif, let's go!"

"Aren't we supposed to run away from explosions?"

The Reds, Caboose and Tucker race outside just as an explosion sends Church crashing into the snow in front of them.

"Ow!"

"What happened?"

"The Meta... there..."

"And I was afraid we wouldn't get to kick a little ass today! Come on, fellas!" Sarge yelled.

"Caboose! Stay with Church!" Tucker ordered.

"Okay."

"And try not to kill him by accident

"Okay!"

The Meta opens fire and Wash dives aside to avoid the hit.

The Meta charges towards him, Brute Shot blade raised, but Tennessee whips out his knife and parries the blow.

Washington then slices the Meta in the shoulder but the Meta cloaks himself and ducks aside. Wash stops and glances around the field.

Tennessee spots the snow being shifted in one side and throws the blade towards the movement. As it hits, the Meta uncloaks with a roar of pain.

Wash and Tennessee raise their battle weapons and open fire, but the Meta shoots a grenade out and sends Wash flying back under the Warthog.

Tennessee grunted in pain from being slammed into the warthog. Suddenly, the Reds and Tucker come charging in.

"Attack!" Sarge roared.

"Get him!" Simmons yelled.

"We're gonna fuckin' die!" Grif shouts terrified.

As they charge, the Reds and Tucker open fire, but the Meta slams his hand into the ground, summoning a domed energy shield around him that blocks the explosions.

He then leaps out through an opening at the top and fires at Grif and Tucker who quickly roll out of the way. Simmons then raises his rocket launcher up and fires at the Meta.

"Fire in the hole!"

The Meta nimbly flips over the rocket and crashes down in front of Simmons, slicing his launcher in half with the brute shot blade.

Tucker takes out his sword and swings it at the Meta, but he blocks the blow and knocks him aside. Sarge raises his shotgun and fires, but the Meta blocks that as well. In a rare act of bravery, Grif suddenly pounces onto the Meta's back and grabs him by the neck, throwing him off-balance.

"Yah! Ah, ah, ah, this guys like a bear!"
The Meta grabs Grif and throws him off, but as he falls Grif snatches the Brute Shot out of his hands.
"Yoink!"

With the Meta now unarmed, Sarge charges forward to tackle him but the Meta punches him to the ground then grabs him by the leg. Sarge fires again but the Meta dodges. He then swings him around twice and flings him into Grif and Simmons.

"Ow, dammit!"

Suddenly, Tucker comes out and impales the Meta's chest with his sword.
"Stab!"