Chapter 59

A/N: I know it's late, uwu. I really despised writing this chapter. Usually, I enjoy writing Vince's pov, but writing action is hard. Plus writing Simon was difficult here too. XD I'm more looking forward to the next chapters, so hopefully, they make up for this one. Anyways let me know what you think, how to improve it, if you hate it, etc. Feel free to comment, vote, and follow. Love y'all.

Chapter 59

Song: The End by Klergy/Will You Fight by Klergy, BEGINNERS

Vince's POV

Run, Simon urged, desperation circling in his brown eyes. It was a look I had seen before, yet with more ferocity that sent a shiver down my spine.

His features hardened as the wolves stalked forward with a menacing growl. Even at his weakened state, my wolf pulled forward, letting out a warning growl of his own at them approaching our mate.

Run, Simon drew out this time, as he lowered his head. It was like a switch going off, my legs finally able to move now. I took a couple of steps back before I turned and ran in the opposite direction. Simon flanked my left side, keeping no more than a few feet away from me as I weaved through the trees, the sounds of the rogues still trailing behind us. My shoulder ached, but it appeared the adrenaline was keeping the pain at bay enough for me to run further.

How Simon had remained unscathed in a forest and overrun pack with feral rogues was a mystery, but one I was grateful for. Still, I didn't want him here; it was too dangerous. Especially with Michael around, I feared he'd use Simon against me. That, and there was a chance I wouldn't be able to help if we were outnumbered. Despite being able to shift, I could feel the strain, the way my wolf didn't settle comfortably in this form. I wasn't strong enough, wasn't even sure how long I could maintain this form for long. It had been so easy for my brother to pin me down, how could I manage to defend the both of us against a group of feral rogues?

I stumbled occasionally, my legs stiffened as each thunderous step sent a pang of electricity up my leg and settled around my shoulder.

The forest was fairly foreign, my knowledge of it only expanding to only the nearest surrounding lands just outside the border. Outrunning this many rogues including my brother was impossible, I only hoped Simon had a plan.

Go left, he nudged my right flank. He herded us toward the clearing up ahead, hugging the left side of the tree line.

We should head to the pack, I suggested. It's safer.

That's what they'll expect.

Then what? We can't outrun or fight them all. I chuffed as we headed toward the end of the clearing, brushing past some of the bushes as we weaved through a denser part of the forest. As I nearly tripped over fallen branches, we pushed on, a couple of stray branches scratched my sides. My shoulder was still burning, but we pushed on, Simon right on my heels.

Just keep running. I'll think of something.

As trees started to become more sparsely spaced out, I glanced backward, a couple of the rogues still tailing us. There was some considerable space between them and us, but it still stirred the need to protect him in my wolf. One stumble or fall and they could easily reach him.

You should head back to the pack, I told him. They're after me. I don't want you to get hurt, is what I wanted to add, but the sound of a wolf from our left got closer. I gritted my teeth, urging my wolf to run faster.

You can't fight them on your own. I'm not just going to- He nudged my side again. Quick, right!

Despite the strain on my shoulder, I jerked to the right, just as the wolf from the left lunged from the bushes. The sound of the jaws gnashing just a mere few feet from where I had been standing. In a blur, I turned to find Simon not at my side anymore. Frantic, I spotted him crouched low, his haunches raised as the fur on his back stood straight up. He had placed himself between me and the rogue, a warning growl emitted from his throat. The other wolves stalked towards us as well. They were feral, well way too gone, probably older judging by the dull and matted coat. Despite that, their menacing glare and intent to kill was not something to take lightly. If Simon thought he was capable enough to take care of them all at once, he'd have to be crazy.