Epilogue

Epilogue

Song: Chicken Tendies by Clinton Kane/Oblivion by Labrinth/Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo

♡♡♡

There is more to a heartbeat than the simple blood passing through our hearts, or the steady pounding of our pulse.

In a heartbeat, there is silence. It's a reminder. A pause, a break, a moment in which we stop, letting the stress and pressure from our past leave behind us. A brief and tender moment between the chaotic boom of our hearts reminding us that we are alive. We will live and ultimately thrive.

Embrace the silence, the tender pause in a heartbeat, for, without it, everything else falls to oblivion.

♡♡♡

Third Person POV

A month later

The bar was bustling with the sound of guests and Grant's band warming up their instruments. It was busier than Vince remembered, and for once, he found no comfort here anymore. But as promised, he shadowed Xavier through the bar, a couple of the betas joining them to watch Grant's performance. He had been gaining popularity recently, and Xavier had practically begged Vince to come with him to see his gig. Of course, Vince held onto a glass of soda, turning down all of the alcohol any of the betas offered. He didn't want to be here, but he wasn't going to back out of his promise to Xavier.

At the other end of the bar, Simon and Sam were at the bar, grabbing a drink, scoping out a place to sit to listen to Grant play for a bit. Sam had work in the morning, but he insisted on taking Simon out for a drink to see his old friends from his pack. It had been Xavier's idea, and Sam couldn't agree more that the two could enjoy a night out. It took quite a bit of planning, but fortunately, Grant's band had a gig today.

As Simon took a sip of his drink, Sam scanned the crowd, smirking as he spotted Xavier approaching the stage. Looking around, he spotted Vince in the middle of the bar. "Hey," he whispered in Simon's ear. "I see an open table."

Vince had been distracted for a second with a conversation between him and a beta before realizing Xavier had left his side. He slid past a few patrons, trying to spot his brother amongst the crowd. He turned to the stage briefly before glancing over to the restrooms, and settled his eyes on the bar.

Then he spotted him. Simon. He would recognize that face anywhere. Vince let out a shaky breath, seeing his mate for the first time in person in seven months. He was near the counter, smiling next to a taller man. Sam, he realized, the same man that had been in that pickup truck. The one Simon had called in his vision. Vince had only glanced their way for a second before turning around sharply. His heart hammered in his chest as he tried to control his breathing.

He needed to get out of here, needed to find Xavier and get the hell home. He wasn't ready to face him, wasn't ready to see him this soon. Vince weaved through the growing crowd, mindlinking Xavier. Where are you? Xavier, we need to go.

Xavier didn't respond as Vince searched the crowd, spotting him closer to the stage talking to Grant and his bandmates. He squeezed past a few more people, wondering why it had been so busy. Xav, I can't be here. We need to-

"Vince?" Vince was frozen, the sound of his mate's voice calling out to him in the crowded bar seemed to cut through all the noise around them, sounding clear as day. Vince breathed heavily, not daring to turn around, the temptation to run out of the bar ever increasing.