Chapter 15

Longer than expected chapter. Originally hadn't planned on revealing too much about their father, but shit happens lol. Hopefully, this chapter will inform you more about Vince and why he is such a dick, but definitely doesn't excuse his actions by any means. Next few chapters will be loads of fun, some interaction between Simon and Vince to come finally. Thanks for the reads, follows, comments, and votes! I really appreciate hearing your thoughts. Enjoy!

Chapter 15

Vince's POV

I remember the first time I met David, Michael's mate. I had just turned thirteen, Michael had been nineteen. David was turning sixteen, the age where a mate's scent can be discovered. Michael had known David was his mate for three years, but like most mates, the bond would only be at its strongest when both were of age. As much as I hated to admit it, David was an all-around good guy. He had gone straight to work after schooling to help take care of orphaned pups or the elder wolves within the pack, often assisting our mother and the other she-wolves in making sure they were well taken care of.

Michael had introduced us to him over dinner one night. At that point, I had only seen David in passing or seeing him briefly chat with mother over one of the elderly wolves they were assigned. He was polite, charming, and honestly a good match to my often rash and stubborn brother. Michael had told our father, Damon, that he was a friend, a close one that had the qualifications for being a great beta or bodyguard for our family. He was highly intelligent, placed top of his class, did a plethora of volunteer work, and had experience with working with other packs through internships and outside jobs he had with the humans.

And classic David, he brushed the compliments off, blushing and downplaying the qualifications he obviously had.

However, the look on fathers face during dinner seemed to suggest that Michael had more to say than suggest a job offer. There was a moment of silence before Michael sighed, and grasped David's hand. When Michael had dropped the news that David was, in fact, his mate and not just a friend, our father made a face we had never seen directed at any of us.

It was the first time I saw disappointment on our father's face. At thirteen, I didn't see anything wrong with David being his mate, but I hadn't known the gravity of what that meant, especially for our family. And as his disappointment turned to rage, our confusion had quickly turned to fear. Xavier, who was only seven had burst out crying, hiding behind mother as waves of unprecedented anger seemed to wash over our father. I could only watch in complete stillness as the events played out so quickly.

Michael had grabbed David's hand and had stepped away from the long dining table, Michael shielding David away from Damon. David, despite being taller than my brother, seemed to cower in terror as father stalked over to them.

Michael held out his hands, as father quickly approached them, pleading, "please, father. Don't–things can be different."

"Like hell!" he shouted before lowering his voice, "I will not have this happen again."

"Dad–"

"Get out!" He used his alpha voice, something he's never had to use on any of us before, which had scared all of us shitless, including our mother who had started tearing up as well, still clutching little Xavier to her chest.

That night, Michael and David were nowhere to be seen, and father had tucked Xavier and me to bed. He had calmed down significantly, but I could tell Xavier was still apprehensive as he squeezed my hand tightly next to me. He didn't always like sharing the bed with me, but he happened to stay in my bed for almost a week after that incident.

After our father said his good nights, he turned to me, mind-linking me. When you turn sixteen, you find your mate, and she'll be perfect. Michael may have fucked this up, but when you find your she-wolf, you'll become our pack's alpha. And if I find out your mate is a fucking male, I will, son and all..."