Chapter 28

A/N: Early update this week, I'll try posting a second update later on this week, since this is a bit shorter than usual. Don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and let me know what you think.

And if any of you are submitting to the Wattys, good luck! I lowkey dislike how uncompleted works aren't allowed, or stories less than 50k words. I know a lot of works that are Wattys level writing that won't be allowed this year :(

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 28

Vince's POV

An uncomfortable silence filled the room, a pin could be heard. I don't think anyone had seen that coming, I surely didn't. My heart was pounding, as I continued to stare at Michael incredulously, his shit-eating grin still plastered on his face. A few of the members started whispering amongst themselves, but it immediately ceased when a chair pushed against the floor, Aspen shooting out of his seat as rage rolled off of him.

"You're fucking insane," he jeered a finger at Michael, before grabbing a hold of Simon's upper arm. "We're leaving."

Simon hadn't budged, despite Aspen yanking on his arm to leave. I thought for sure he'd sprint out of here like he had at the bar, but he seemed indifferent suddenly. He was frowning, but he didn't seem the slightest bit appalled at what Michael said, like he hadn't even heard what he was implying. Almost like he had known.

Hesitantly, Simon stood up, following Aspen begrudgingly toward the door. His head was down, just as it had been at the start of the council. With lack of judgment, I had stood up, turning towards him to accuse, "you knew about this."

I had intended it as a question, but it came out harsher. Aspen turned to me coldly, but I continued. "That's why you agreed to come here, you knew about his plan all along."

With a glare rivalling my brother's, Aspen sneered under his breath, "he's not here for you, asshole."

And with that, he stormed out with Simon in tow. Surprisingly, Sarah stayed behind, her eyes only following them as they left.

As I sat dumbfounded, the council continued chatting amongst themselves before Michael cleared his throat. "We can discuss the terms and details of that at a later time, we have other concerns to discuss today."

He ranted about the changes he wanted done to the pack, but I was completely zoning out, thinking about what had just happened. Accepting Simon? Was that even possible? Surely if Michael didn't want the title he would've made it easier, right? Marking Simon was impossible, was Michael really that set on being the alpha?

And if Simon wasn't here for his plan, then what the hell made him decide to come here? Unless Michael forced him, but it didn't appear that way with how cozy those two were with each other. Just remembering the way Simon seemed to lean into his touch made me cringe. Even without the dream, I didn't trust Michael one bit around him.

"So, if no one has any further objections, we'll move these motions into action soon. We'll need to set up a few things before it can be implemented but, I'm thinking next month we'll roll out these changes. Sarah, if you could help type out the changes and file them, that'd be great," Michael continued. She didn't seem that thrilled, considered her mate had stepped out. I could tell she was getting antsy about being here as her leg bounced up and down, but she affirmed Michael. "Well, that adjourns our meeting."

I was still lost in thought as most of the members filed out, murmuring and sending looks at me as they passed by. I hardly paid attention to it, instead, watching as Michael seemed so full of himself at the head of the table. I was getting madder by the second, who did he think he was? Forcing us together like some arranged marriage shit. What was this going to solve anyway?