Chapter 15

Carli's POV

My hand rests on his chest, appreciating the sensation of his stomach rising and falling as he breaths. My cheek is pressed against his warm skin, the sound of our heartbeats filling my ears. His arm is wrapped around my back and his hand cups my waist. Our naked bodies are tangled beneath bed sheets that linger with the scent of desire and sandalwood.

My eyes are closed but the sun peeks through the curtains, illuminating my eyelids in orange and pink. I let out a quiet breath and my eyes flicker open.

Noah is fast asleep beside me, his head tucked against mine. My eyes flicker to his face and a smile lingers at my lips.

I don't bother checking the time, content with lying here while the sun rises. My hand traces his chest and my thoughts wander with my fingertips.

Last night was incredible. I forgot what it felt like to have someone's body melt into yours. To have soft hands holding you in desire and kindness. A promise, if only for one night, to stay right here.

And yet, guilt sits in my stomach like an anchor dragging me under churning waves. Guilt. Because I should be worried about Elle when I'm taking comfort in Noah, or because my mind is occupied by thoughts of her when I should be focused on him. I don't know which.

But the feeling is there, in the breath that fills my lungs, my fingertips on Noah's skin, in the burning memory of the heat of our bodies. I pick my head up from his chest and admire his features. His lips parted as he breathes, his rounded chin tilted down to my head, his skin dark and clear. After sex, we talked. We talked for hours. About anything and everything we could possibly think of. I laid with my head on his chest and his arms around my waist and our smiles straining our muscles until they were sore.

So why is my head screaming at me to run? Why is it telling me to get as far away as possible?

Is it my head or my heart whispering in my ear?

The thought of Noah waking up almost frightens me. What will he say? Will he ask me to leave and we forget last night ever happened? Or will he offer to make me breakfast and suddenly I'm falling, down, down to the cement while gravity drags at my heart? It's a risk I'm not ready to take.

I unwrap Noah's arm from my waist and rest it on his chest. I slide off the mattress, using a plush blanket to cover my naked limbs. I search for my clothes; my underwear and bra tossed into the corner of the room with my jeans, my shirt back by the door, and my socks and shoes scattered across the carpet. I dress silently, my clothes cold on my skin. I look back towards Noah and hesitate. What if he wakes up and wishes I didn't leave? What if this is the wrong choice and I end up hurting him anyways?

I shake my head, bringing one hand to my temple. Fucking headache.

I leave the blanket beside Noah on the bed and slip out the door. My jacket rests on the coat rack from the night before. I pull it on, running my hands over the leather. I take a deep breath and my mind seems to settle. I grab my bag and quietly leave his apartment.

I check my phone on my way to the street. Derek, Penelope, and JJ have been texting me all night. I skim the messages before responding to Derek's missed call.

"Morgan," he responds as I step onto the street. I look around and find myself in a suburb of the city. I don't even remember how long it took to get here from Garcia's place. I try to find a taxi but don't see anyone at all. Instead, I start down the sidewalk.

"Hey hot shot, it's me."

"Finally got the time to call, I see?"

I roll my eyes but can't help a smile. "I like your friend."