Chapter 21

Carli's POV

Do you know what's absolutely insane? Like I've-gone-completely-mental insane?

I want to hug her. I want to hug her so fucking badly. For no reason other than to hold her in my arms again.

Fuck. I'm fucking fucked.

I get to the conference room, and despite everyone standing, I take a seat. My head hurts, and when my head hurts my body aches, and every now and then the stab wound in my thigh likes to make itself known, and I need a minute to sit and hold my head in my hands.

"Alright," Elle starts. "I've been following this guy for a couple days. Yesterday, I was at the dump sites, and I found tire tracks."

So it was her footprints I found.

Of course it was.

"I had someone get me a list of cars in the area that belonged to men that matched the profile, and then I set alerts on traffic cams and the like in case a similar vehicle passed by," Elle goes on. "I got a hit when the unsub drove out to the latest dumpsite. And I got a plate number."

I pick my head up and finally look at Elle. She digs a light blue sticky note out of her pocket and hands it to Garcia. Penelope gives her a wide smile and takes a seat at the table, opening her laptop.

"And you're sure it's him?" Hotch confirms.

Elle nods. "I have footage of him entering the apartment complex driveway. I'm hoping the plates aren't stolen."

"They're not!" Garcia exclaims. "His name is Gary Sanders, lives at 377 Chapman Road." Garcia hits a few keys and a headshot appears on the main screen. "He's 32, did some time for arson and burglary, no family, dad was abusive according to his hospital records and his mom left the picture when he was eleven."

"That's gotta be our guy," Morgan says. I glance his way and for a moment he meets my eyes. I need to talk to him. I know he's angry, but he's treating Elle like she doesn't exist. And should I care? No. But do I care anyways? Unfortunately.

"We'll get a SWAT team ready and head in," Hotch decides. "We leave in twenty minutes."

We all nod and leave the room to get ready to go. There's a side room not far from the bullpen, similar to the gym locker room but it stores weapons and FBI vests instead of athletic clothes. Reid and Elle walk off together but I stop at Morgan's desk.

"Hey. We need to talk."

Morgan stands, towering over me, per usual. "Don't tell me to be nice to her."

I sigh. "Can you at least acknowledge her?"

He rolls his eyes. "Why do you even care?"

"Why do you?" I shoot back.

"Because I care about you!" His voice raises and he takes a quick glance around. It's the middle of the day and the bullpen is packed with agents. So yeah, everyone heard.

I glare at him and he lowers his voice. "Carli, I saw you after she left. You were miserable."

"Thanks for the reminder," I mutter.

"She hurt you. She doesn't deserve my respect."

I can't help a brief smile. "Wow, hot shot. For a second there that sounded like a love confession."

Derek rolls his eyes again but a smile reaches his lips. "Gross."

"Hey! A year ago you were all over me," I argue.

Derek shakes his head and together we head for the locker room. "Don't get me wrong, you are..." He glances sideways at me.

"Amazing," I offer.