Chapter 18

six weeks later

TW: (brief) mention of assault

Elle's POV

Carli smiles against my mouth as I press my lips to hers. "Hey beautiful," she murmurs.

I hook my hands around the back of her head, pulling her forehead to mine. I roll us over so I'm on top, our chests pressed together and our legs tangled on the couch. Her hands sneak around my waist and she peppers kisses along my jawline.

I sigh in pleasure as her lips press to my skin. "I don't want to go to work," I breathe.

"Then it's a good thing it's Sunday," Carli laughs.

I smile and place a kiss on her cheek. "I mean tomorrow. Or ever."

She pulls her lips away from my neck and gives me a teasing smile. "Like you could last a week without a case."

I playfully roll my eyes. "I could last forever without a case if it meant I got to spend all my time with you."

Carli's eyes widen just enough for me to notice. I giggle. "You're blushing."

She quickly closes her mouth. "No I'm not," she pouts.

I smile and kiss the tip of her nose. "You're cute."

"You're sweet."

Her hands tangle in my hair and she pulls me closer for another kiss. When we part I take a deep breath and lean in again. She presses her hand to my chest and I stop. "What's wrong?"

Her lips pull into a smile. "Nothing. I just want to look at you."

I pout. "Look later. Kiss now."

"No."

I jut out my bottom lip. "Please."

"Nope. I want to admire my girlfriend."

I lean in closer, my lips brushing hers. "Admire me with your mouth."

Carli starts laughing. "That made no sense," she giggles.

"Yes it did," I argue.

"Not really." Her hands play with my hair and I try to hide my smile. "But I liked it anyway."

"Enough to kiss me?"

Carli looks off to the side. "Mmm. Okay."

The word barely leaves her mouth before I press my lips to hers. She's trying not to smile and ruin the kiss. I run my tongue across her bottom lip and she lets me in. Our tongues end up back in my mouth, one of Carli's hands now traveling to my backside.

Our kissing is interrupted a moment later by a ringing cell phone. Carli reaches for it but I pull her back. "Let it ring," I mumble.

Our kisses turn rougher but the phone continues to buzz on the coffee table. Carli breaks away. "Elle, we need to stop now."

I'm confused by her tone of voice, her choice of words.

"It's time to wake up baby," she whispers.

***

My eyes snap open and I hurry to shut off the ringing alarm. I slam my fist down on the snooze button. I roll onto my back and look at the empty pillow beside me.

I didn't even realize I was dreaming. It felt so real, so right, to have her in my arms again. To have her hands tangling in my hair and her tongue swirling against mine.