Chapter 35

Elle's POV

My worst fear come true. Late night terrors of her body limp in my arms, her blood on my hands. Her skin pale and glistening with sweat, her chest shuddering as she draws in one last breath.

A wretched sob escapes me as the life seeps from her body. It's half scream, half cry. Pain and love and sorrow wrapped in my broken voice.

I hold her so tight to my chest, my hands clutching her bruised shoulders, and it's not tight enough.

"I love you," I sob. "I love you, I-I love you, Carli, please—come back, come back to me."

The words leaving my mouth are swallowed by the screeching machinery outside the door. The sounds drill into my skull until there's nothing, nothing left but her.

"I love you," I whisper, over and over again, because I never told her enough. And I should've told her sooner, so she would know how much I love her before she—

I can't finish the thought. It can't be real. It can't be. I shake Carli's shoulders.

"Wake up," I cry. "Wake up!"

But nothing. No shift, no slight rise of her chest, no flutter of her eyes. I draw her into me again, collapsing against the closet wall.

All I manage to say through my tears are "I love you" and "I'm so sorry."

I'm so sorry, C.

I love you so much.

Please don't leave me.

My words slip away from me as I cry. And cry, and cry. It doesn't help that I can hardly breathe—the air is so thin, so fragile, my head is light and the darkness lurks at the edges of my vision. Maybe it can take me, too, and when I wake up Carli will be there, with her arms wrapped around my waist and my head on her chest and her smile warm with the words I will always love you.

I close my eyes. I feel it pulling, I feel her pulling, drawing me close, ready to brush her lips against mine far away from this damn closet.

I bury my head in the crook of her neck. Her skin radiates fever heat, but I know it'll be leached from her body soon enough. I take a deep breath, pressing my lips to her soft skin.

"Sun, moon, and stars, my love," I breathe.

I'm ready. I'm ready for the darkness—

The door is thrown open and a beam of light blinds me. I wince, my fists tight in Carli's clothing.

"Elle!" It's Derek. "Elle, come on, we have to—"

My eyes adjusting to the harsh light, I can see the moment his mind catches up to the sight before him. The moment he realizes that Carli isn't moving, that her body is as broken as my heart.

The flashlight drops to the floor, landing with a deafening clatte. He tries to drag her away from me, but I hold on tight.

"No," I state firmly. "No."

"Elle, we—let go! Let us save her!" he begs.

If only by brute strength, Derek forces Carli away from my arms. He lays her down on the floor, and in the full light of the flashlights surrounding us, I truly see her.

She's pale. So, so pale. Her eyes are closed, her face dirty with grime and sweat. Crimson blood trickles from her nose. Her wrist is bent at an impossible angle, the fabric of her jeans worn away on her knees, the skin bloody beneath. Her chest is still.

I curl my knees to my chest, trying to hide away from the horror. I'm still crying. I don't think I'll ever stop. Morgan shouts to people behind him, but I no longer hear it. I don't hear anything. All I see is Carli's ghostly skin, her lips parted slightly but no breath coming out.