Chapter 25

Carli's POV

My eyes are closed, but I am far from asleep. We're on the jet, and I can hear the team conversing over the sound of the engines. We're outlining the case in a few minutes, but I'm alone in the back of the cabin.

My head doesn't hurt. Shocker, right? I haven't had a migraine since... well, since Friday. Since my drunk dumbass self thought it would be a grand idea to fall asleep on top of my ex. But no headaches, except for the hangover the next morning. That hurt like a bitch.

A gentle hand touches my shoulder. "Carli? We're starting."

I open my eyes to find Elle staring down at me. Our eyes lock and she looks away. We haven't talked much since Friday. Except Monday morning.

"Hey," I said casually as I poured myself a cup of coffee. "How was your weekend?" Terrible small talk. You got this, C.

"Good. After the hangover passed," Elle added, trying to lighten the mood.

I paused as I handed her the coffee pot. "You didn't have to leave," I said quietly.

She took the pot with a brief smile. "Next time."

Right. Next time. Cause I totally plan on falling asleep in her arms again.

I sigh and stand from my chair, stepping around Elle. I flop down on the couch and lean my elbow on Morgan's shoulder. He shoves me away and I roll my eyes before punching him in the arm.

"Alright." Hotch interrupts our glaring contest. "You've all read the file. Serial arsonist turned murderer, our unsub sets house fires and locks his victims inside."

As we talk through the case, I can't help my eyes flicker to Elle. She sits beside Hotch, and her knee bounces. She's nervous. This is her first team case back, and it's getting to her.

She notices my eyes on her and I avert my gaze. It's not my place to worry about her anymore.

"One victim survived the fires," Hotch goes on. "D'angelo and I will interview her at the hospital. The rest of you will work out of San Francisco PD."

"How did she survive?" I ask. From what the report tells us, the unsub took extreme measures to make sure his victims perished.

"We're not entirely sure," Hotch answers.

At the same time, Elle mutters under her breath, "luck."

Hotch and Elle share a glance. I know they had a brief discussion in his office before we left. I'm glad someone's watching out for her, at least.

On the other hand, Hotch hasn't spoken to me much since the team uncovered what I did for Strauss. He's professional, as always, but something's changed. In the way he looks at me. In the way they all look at me.

They don't trust me anymore.

────

Hotch is quiet as we drive through the city to the hospital. I glance sideways at him for maybe the fifth time. He doesn't say a word. He acts like I'm not even there.

"So, Kelly Gray. Do you think she'll be able to give us something?" I ask in hopes of starting a conversation.

"I hope so." He keeps his eyes forward, his expression blank.

I sigh. "You could at least look at me."

He glances my way for a moment. "I'm driving."

"Multitask."

"D'angelo," he warns.

"What? I'm sorry for wanting a conversation."

"I don't know what to say to you," he states.