4- New Beginnings

"Her DNA doesn't match any of the Heroic's."

If this were a horror movie, there would be dramatic string effects, a fake audience gasping, and a tuba, violin, and/or piano going "DUN DUN DUN".

But because real life is boring, a tense silence so thick rises into the air- I doubted anything that could cut through it. I didn't know weather to look at my feet (which had suddenly become very interesting) or try and make eyes contact to see if he was lying through his teeth. 

Finally, Guppy broke the silence. "Then who's her mommy and daddy?"

"We don't know. It's impossible that she has superpowers at all without Heroic parents," Mr Moreno said. "Unless- ah, no. That would be ridiculous."

"Unless what?" Missy prompted.

Wheels gasped. "Unless she has Super Villain parents." I sucked in a breath. 

"Nonononono," I said in disbelief. But it fitted. Only super villain parents would abandon their child, wipe memories, and leave only a vague sentence -no, an order, a command- : find the children of the Heroics.

It fitted. For all I knew, if I had my memories, I could be manipulated into killing everyone in the room and then myself. I could feel tears forming at the corner of my eyes, begging to flow down faster than a waterfall. But no. No, I'm not letting myself be someone just crying for help.

I blink quickly, and the burning sensation disappears. "Even if my parents really are super villains, they don't make me who I am. They can't, right?"

"Right," I turn and see A Cappella  move beside me, placing her hand on my shoulder and giving it a gentle squeeze. "You're family isn't who you are... And honestly, I trust that Y/C/N is not a villain."

I smile appreciatively. "I trust her too." I look down and see Guppy hugging my arm. I cling onto the two, clinging onto the comfort. Slowly, everyone came up to me, murmuring their agreement. Even Slo-Mo, on the other side of the room, nodded at me.

Mr Moreno looked straight at me through the crowd of people, making eye contact (which was pretty uncomfortable, I'd say). "I'm willing to give you this chance. Don't make me regret it." He didn't say it in an aggressively or threateningly. It was a plea that I didn't do anything. 

"Also," he continued. "Since we're letting you stay, you'll need a room. How do you fell about sharing with A Cappella and Guppy?"

I nodded my consent. Mr Moreno exhaled. "Alright. The AI should've already changed things up. As for everyone else- back to your rooms. It's getting late." He turned sharply and climbed out of the hatch, the metal door swinging shut and clicking.

"So," I said.  "Where exactly are your rooms?" 

A Capella smiled softly, beckoning me over to her desk. "You wanna do the honours, Guppy?" The girl nodded, dragging the desk to the side, and stepping on a slightly larger tile. The tile slid into the floor, revealing a gaping hole with a ladder at the side.

"Whoever sits at the desk stays in the bedroom underneath it," A Cappella explained. "So, me and Guppy share a room." She lowered herself onto the ladder with practised ease, slowly going down the rungs. "Come on!"

I carefully used my feet to feel for the rungs, refusing to look down at what could be a very very long drop. Though, unlike my fear, there are only twenty or thirty (I gave up counting halfway) rungs before my feet hit solid ground.

"Uh- what now?" I asked, looking at the pitch black area.

"Now we turn on the lights." Guppy said. At the last word, the entire room flooded with light.

The room had a triple bunk pressed along one wall, taking up most of the space, a white frame and fairy lights strung from top to bottom. Each matress had a different colour scheme, and at the very top, my favourite colours were draped. 

On the other side, a ceiling-to-floor bookshelf stood, with volumes upon volumes of books. The room was a little small, but more cozy than cramped.

A Cappella pointed up to the top bunk. "that wasn't there this morning, so it's probably yours. The bathrooms over there," she pointed to a wooden door at the side. "so you're all set. Good night, Y/C/N." She waved, heading into the door.

Guppy plopped on the second bunk, already tucked in. Probably a morning shower persons, then.

After A Cappella walked out in footsie pyjamas, hair slightly damp, I bidded her goodnight and headed into the bathroom. As soon as I opened the door, I was greeted by a walk-in closet. The lower shelves seemed to be reserved for Guppy, the left for A Cappella (I assumed, because the clothes were a similar style to what she was wearing earlier), the right for myself.

I picked a set of clothes and brought them into the bathroom, the mirror and glass slightly fogged. I stepped into the shower and rinse off the grime of the day, using the fruity-smelling soaps to clean myself.

At the bathroom counter, there were three seperate sections like in the walk-in closet. I picked up the toothbrush with my name engraved into it, using the bubbly toothpaste.

I dumped my clothes into the hamper in the corner, walking back to the main room, feeling cleaner. The room was already dark, the fairy lights now lit and giving the room a warm glow.

I climbed up the ladeer to the very top, and crawled into the feather-soft bed, closing my eyes. It felt like a giant cloud- or even better, a cotton candy bed.

Dreams start, dreams with all my newfound friends and a certain pair of chocolate brown eyes. It felt safe and familiar.

And that's when the nightmares have to start.

Word count: 992

Note: I know this chappie was a little short and rushed, but I had a lot of Algerbra and Geometry homework. I'll probably post less, since I have exams coming up soon. Hope y'all liked this chapter!

-Mallowmelt- 😋

Editing me here: I had to edit this twice because it didn't save the first time, so it's a little late, but here you go! If your comments are deleted, I am so sorry, but hope you enjoyed!