18- Power Lobes

✏️EDITED🖊

The room spun- or maybe that it was just me. All the light seemed to fade as my stomach churned, threatening to gag up all the snacks I ate earlier. My thoughts were messy and disorganized as I tried to remember all I could about my family.

"Y/N. It's okay. Shh," I took in a shaky breath as the voice calmed me down, bringing me back to reality.

"Sorry," I said. "I just- what I mean- ugh- uh-" I took another deep breath. "It's just... if my parents didn't have powers, how come I do? And don't think I didn't notice that 'were'."

"I know you have many questions, Y/N. But I don't have any answers," Hack Attack answered sadly. "The only people who would know are them. The people you saw. The enemy."

The seemingly accusing words knocked me back a step. I tried to keep my voice steady as I carefully picked and chose my next words. "Okay. But, how does that help me get your powers back?"

"Because you were the test subject. You were the first person to be used as a test for the power transfer. As the superpower transferred out of the superhero in one of those boxes you saw, the power would flow into the very system of someone else connected to another box. Confusing-I know." Hack Attack explained.

I bit my lip. "Your saying... I don't actually have powers. This," I used telekinesis to lift a pen off Mr Moreno's table, leaving it to hover an inch off the surface to illustrate my point. "This... power, that I have. It doesn't belong to me?"

I meant to say it as a statement, to convince myself as much as everyone else in the room that my powers weren't mine.  But it came out as a question. I was doubting every word that Hack Attack just said. Every. Single. One.

Ghost smiled sadly. "No, they don't."

"Who did -does- it belong to?"

They exchanged looks with one another. "The first Heroic in this kidnapping spree," Phoebe replied, sighing.

"Heroics," Max cut in, pausing to look at me. "Us. The Thundertwins."

I sucked in a breath. "If I'm able to give you back your power, then... I'll do it." I couldn't believe the words as they slipped out of my mouth, and yet, there was still truth in them. I was volunteering of my own free will to give up my superpowers. The one thing that was with me when I woke up, abandoned and alone.

I wasn't saying it was bad and shameful to be powerless. Look at Missy. She was happy. Perfectly content with being amazing as she was being normal. But... I wasn't. How would I adjust? Would I even be allowed to be a Heroic? Especially when everyone learnt that my uncle was number one enemy- fine. I still had my powers, after all. But now...

Trying not to tremble, I looked Hack Attack straight in the eyes. "Tell me how to give my power back."

---

I connected into Phoebe and Max's minds.

I felt pain. I felt everything and nothing at once.

All that was clear was that I was lost. So lost.

The fractured memories swimed by me, none of them making sense.

I needed to do something. 

I was supposed to be doing something.

But it hurt. Like nothing I'd ever felt. Weather it was mental or physical pain, I wasn't sure.

But it didn't really matter. I was in pain. Pain so real I just want to stay and give up, slowly withering away.

Into nothingness.

No. I couldn't. 

The sharp thought brought me out of my daze. I was still in a hurricane of memories, all fractured and broken. But I was okay. Not hurting anymore.

I needed to go and find their superpower lobes. The very thing that stored any type of power. Everyone was born with one, apparently. It was just a matter of weather it was filled with a power or not.

But how did I find power lobes in all this madness? Two power lobes, at that? I transmitted a desperate plea for help. Guidance. Anything that could possibly help.

And there. Right there. I moved towards the faint hum. Now for the hardest part. I channelled every ounce of my energy into a glowing orb, sending everything- hopes, fears, dreams. Parts of what made me, me.

The orb grew larger with every wave of energy I sent, pulsing with power so strong it seemed almost alive. I was what made it powerful. But I wasn't what it needed.

The power just wanted me to fuel it. 

But it belonged with Phoebe and Max. I let the orb explode. 

---

The force pushed me out of their minds, sending me tumbling backwards into my chair. I took deep breaths, trying to ignore my pulsing headache.

Across me, Phoebe and Max were also groaning, rubbing their temples. So were Ghost, Hack Attack, Thunderman and Electriss- which was not supposed to happen. "Did it work?" I whispered shakily.

The selfish part of me hoped it didn't. I clinged to the tiny, vain hope that I still had my power. But the hope evaporated as Max used telekinesis to lift the chairs up off the ground, so much like what I'd did days ago when I first arrived. His telekinesis. 

Not mine. 

His.

Somehow that very fact hurt more than my headache. "I don't understand," I said, feeling shock as Ghost hovered in the air herself like a, well, ghost. "I only returned the power to Phoebe and Max. Not anyone else."

"Yes," Hack Attack agreed. "But you're their foundation. As soon as the foundation collapses, the building falls with it. He ignored Ghost as she muttered, "Nerd."

Hack Attack continued, rolling his eyes slightly. "The other captured Heroics should be getting their power back. This is the butterfly effect. A small action that triggers a chain of events."

I tried not to snort. Small? What I did was small? Myabe to them- but for me? I gave up what made me feel special. It was gone. Not a part of me anymore. It was never supposed to be a part of me. There was nothing special about me now. Or maybe I was just throwing too big of a pity party.

It wasn't like I wasn't a hero anymore- I just returned power to a bunch of Heroics who were captured! But there was always a catch. I was also the one who took the power.

Not intentionally, but still. Mind controlled or not, it was still my fault this is happening.

"Well, I guess... that's that," I said, getting up from the soft armchair. "I'll just... go to my room."

Entering back into the underground hatch and talking to Wild Card after our, ahem, kiss, would be a whole other realm of awkwardness. But I didn't have much of a choice. Besides, I would have chosen going to my friends over staying in the room and having to deal with watching ohers be happy when I was downright miserable.

All I wanted to do now was curl up into my own ball of despair and sadness and have a really good cry.

Word Count: 1265

Note: What happens to Y/N now? Honestly, I'm still thinking. I never expected to make such a complex storyline in what was supposed to be a simple x reader fanfic.

I also didn't expect to get so many reads, votes, and comments on this book! Thanks to everyone who's done that!

-Mallowmelt- :P

Editing me: I've realized how complicated the whole thing is, even for myself. Oops.