21- I'm Back For My Family

✏️EDITED🖊

I crawled through the narrow vents, barely fitting in them, almost crashing into the cold metal walls at every turn. "How much farther?" I whispered, trying to keep my voice low, barely a whisper. I would have transmitted, but... there was the whole that-thing-I-really-didn't-want-to-talk-about.

"We're almost there. If nothing stops us, -I don't think anything will- we should be able to-" Wild Card stopped short, crashing into 'thin air'.

I bit my lip to refrain from saying, "Jinxed it."

Ghost materialized in front of us. "Shh!"

I ignored her. "What's wrong?" Ghost pointed down. Through the gratings, we could see just outside the headquarters. An annoyingly familiar figure was scaling up the wall, with white figures following after him. I sucked in a breath- then mentally cursed for making noise.

What now? Wild Card transmitted.

I... don't know. The plan was to go in and out. Ghost admitted.

Well, we need to think of something, Wild Card snapped back. I place a hand on his shoulder, feeling his muscles relax under my grip.

I guess it's sort of a good thing that you two came back for me. Maybe we can turn around and warn someone in the building. I thought.

Ghost shook her head violently, nearly blowing our cover by banging into the vent. Almost all the Heroics have been dispatched to missions on finding other enemy bases.

I clenched my jaw. Looks like we'll have to fight our way out.

---

"That was easier than expected." Ghost said. Though we're all thinking it. The enemy group had been almost too easy to beat. The last time, I had had to use the full strength of Phoebe and Max's telekinesis. And I'd passed out from effort.

"I bet this is a decoy," Wild Card groaned. "So the real ones are breaking in with another method."

"We don't have time to search the whole Headquarters," Ghost argued. "And plus- if we think long-term, we don't have enough Heroics to fight of such a big enemy army. And I know that rhymed- no need to ask," She added when I opened my mouth.

"Not what I was going to say," I countered. "But wait- what? How do we not have enough Heroics-"

"It's true," Wild Card cut off. "Not many people are born with superpowers. We built such a big headquarters to make our enemies think we were actually huge in number."

I groaned at being decived by their tricks as well. 'Alright, I'm done playing catch-up. But then how are we supposed to find enough people to fight them off? Especially now, when so many people are injured."

"I do have an idea..." Wild Card muttered.

"Continue."

"I think it's high time I give a call to my alien friends."

---

Ghost headed to a seperate part of the headquarters to call for backup. There was only one group that would actually believe us and come back- our friends. None of us thought it was a good idea to split up, and I had protested heavily, but we had to.

"Wish me luck," Ghost whispered, disappearing. The only sign of her moving were the soft thumps on the floor that stopped as she -I guessed- floated into the air.

"I've never seen this place so empty," Wild Card murmured.

"Me either," I agreed as we walked down the for once empty hallways. "But would you care to explain to me how you even know aliens?"