11- First Assignment

✏️EDITED🖊

After we all calmed down (and by all of us I meant a certain five year old), Mr Moreno brought us back himself to the bunker and told us to get some sleep. After we all filed in and the door closed, Wild Card headed straight for his desk and slid down what seemed to be a slide to his room; which wasn't fair, because why didn't we get a slide?

But on a more important note, it seemed that he was either avoiding me entirely or glaring, neither of which was good. I tried to brush it off, really.  "Any reason why he's sulking?" I asked, plopping onto a beanbag.

"Not sure," Missy said, following after me. "He's been waiting to be an official Heroic for as long as I can remember."

"Pretty sure this wasn't how he expected it to turn out," Face Maker muttered.

We all made ourselves comfortable on the beanbags and carpeted area, but stayed in awkward silence. It wasn't right. We should have all been cheering and talking excitedly to each other, not looking at each other while a vital member of the group was downstairs pouting.

I wanted to lightened the mood, so just as I was about to say "Crickets", Rewind asked the thing I should have been more focused on. Which was not crickets.

"When do you think we'll get our first assignment?" He asked.

"Not sure," A Cappella said. "Usually they have to review our files and see which mission is most suitable, so it'll probably be in a few weeks-"

My question was: Why did the Heroics have a really bad habit of cutting us off in conversations? And really specifically the ones I was actually interested in?

Mr Moreno came in, whispering to himself. "Do I have to do this?" His whispers were very loud. Technically not my fault that I heard that. "Okay, I know this is very sudden," He started, stopping the mutters to himself. "But I have a mission for all of you... and where's Wild Card?"

They all glanced at me. "What?" I asked. It took my brain a few seconds to process what they wanted, but once it did, I scoffed. "I am not  going to call him telepathically, he won't even listen to me at this point," Slo-Mo looked at me pointedly. "Don't give me that look- fine." I was really too nice for my own good.

I sighed and closed my eyes, opening my mind to the quiet rooms below. Uh... Wild Card? You might think this is a prank, but can you come up? Mr Moreno wants to talk to us. All of us. 

No. Hearing his voice after being deprived of friendly conversation was something slightly comforting, despite the situation.

Please?

No!

Come one, he's assigning the first mission.

Already? No way.

Yes way. Now hurry, we're not gonna wait all day for you.

If people could have mentally eye-rolled, Wild Card would have done it way before. You know what? He would have mentally strangled me.

I must have at least persuaded him to come and see what was going on, because Wild Card came stomping up. He seemed genuinely surprised that I was telling the truth, which was a huge insult to my integrity.

But I wouldn't judge.

Or at least I'd try not to.

"Good. Great. Everyone's here," Mr Moreno said.

"Exactly," Missy agreed. "So now you can tell us why you called us here and stop stalling, Dad."

He took a deep breath. "Okay. I've discussed this with the Main Council and they say that this mission will be done best by all of you."

"What's the Main Council?" Face Maker asked. It honestly felt nice to not be the only person in the room oblivious and clueless to everything.

"The Main Council has the final decision and the most important say in which Heroics go on what missions."

"Why don't you decide?" Slo-Mo asked, finally moving at a normal speed.

"It's part of the rules. The leader of the Heroics is bound to respect and follow the decisions of the Main Council," He explained. "But I've gotten off track. They've decided that all of you should be sent on an information retrieving mission."

Wheels frowned. "A what now?"

"It's an assignment where the Heroics go to enemy quarters to recover information- nothing else. No fighting, no attacking."

"Wait- we're going into enemy headquarters?" I clarified. "I though the Heroics had no enemies- like, currently."

"We do, sadly," Mr Moreno said, smiling bitterly. "There are still a huge amount of villains out there. More than we thought."

Then, it hit me. "This has something to do with the piece of information I found, doesn't it?"

He nodded gravely. "Indestructible seems to have been part of a secret criminal organization, messing with the genes and DNA of humans. Not superheroes. Humans."

No one said anything. 

"What information do we have to uncover, exactly?" We all turned together towards Wild Card, who -surprisingly- had broken the silence.

"Anything," Mr Moreno said. "We know absolutely nothing about this organization. It just popped out of nowhere."

"Who's idea was it to send kids on the mission?" Fast Forward mumbled. "Real genius of them."

Mr Moreno sighed. "The Main Council," he paused when she muttered, "Rhetorical question." 

"I have to respect this decision, even though I don't like it. All of you are leaving tonight. Craze Raze and Morpher will help you suit up." He turns to Wild Card. "You're the leader. Bring everyone home safe. Trust your gut over your head. Good luck." He turned to walk out- but backtracked to give Missy a giant hug.

The fact that Wild Card was in charge wasn't the most surprising part- it was that Mr Moreno really made Heroics Headquarters feel like home.

And I was going to come back with everyone safe and sound. That was an unspoken promise to him- and to myself.

Because the Heroics, these friends that I was lucky enough to be surrounded by, they finally gave me something to fight for.

Word Count: 1047

Note: Yay! Another chapter! Next one might take a while before updating because it's going to be a longer one.

Thanks to everyone who has read and voted!

-Mallowmelt- :P

Editing me: I've realised that since my past self didn't do time skips the whole span of the book so far is like only a few days. Fast paced compared to my other books.