𝟎𝟎𝟏. today's the day!

━━━━━━ CHAPTER ONE.

━━━━━━ 

september 1st, 1992

"harry."

"what."

"harry!"

"what do you want?" harry groaned, reaching for his glasses.

"guess what."

"no."

"stop it!" evelyn whined, pulling harry up so he would sit.

"fine," he sighed. "what?"

"today's the day!"

"today's the day?" harry repeated.

evelyn nodded, excitedly. "i'm going to hogwarts!"

harry blinked at her.

"you woke me up to tell me you're going to hogwarts?"

"yes," she grinned. "now get up!"

"five more minutes?"

"no."

"why?" harry questioned.

"because," evelyn replied. "help me get ready!"

"you can get ready later," harry slumped back onto his pillow. 

"when's later?"

"in five minutes."

evelyn rolled her eyes at her brother, getting up and walking towards the bathroom. 

she looked in the mirror, and smiled. no, she thought to herself, do that again. so she smiled again. better, she nodded. that was how she was going to smile once she got sorted into gryffindor, which she would get sorted into. 

"why are you making faces at yourself in the mirror?"

evelyn turned to look at her father, who had peaked his head through the already open door. 

"i'm practicing my smile," she responded. "for after i get sorted."

"you're smile is fine," james chuckled. 

"are you sure?"

"i'm sure," he nodded. "now come downstairs and get some breakfast. and wake up your brother while you're at it."

"harry's not budging," evelyn said, stubbornly. "why do i have to wake him up?"

"because i don't want to," james shrugged before walking downstairs.

***

"please don't make me go today," harry groaned, his hair pointing in different directions due to the fact that evelyn had quite literally dragged him out of bed.

"merlin, harry, come here," lily chuckled at her son's bedhead. "why not?"

"i don't want to go with her there."

"you make me sound like a monster," evelyn said innocently, hopping onto a chair.

"you are one, have you seen yourself?"

"very funny."

"be nice," lily scolded him, raking a wet comb through his hair. "and start on your eggs, both of you. once the others get here you won't want to eat."

"too late!"

the potters turned to look at the ball of energy that had just jumped through their doorway.

"lans!"

leilani black was a brunette with wavy hair that was quite long, unlike evelyn who had her mother's red hair. if there was anyone in the world that knew evelyn more than herself, it was lani. the pair of them were known for being attached to the hip since they knew how to crawl. they were also known for the trouble they caused around the house, but they didn't mind. they liked it that way.

the girls giggled as they embraced, nearly knocking over harry in the process.

"chill out, lani," harry gasped. "you almost just killed me."

"stop being dramatic," lani smirked, also hugging him. "today's the day, harry."

"so i was told," harry muttered.

"don't be so negative, scarface," evelyn said sarcastically, pinching his cheeks. "you love us, don't you?"

"debatable."

"i told you to knock," an amused voice came from the door.

that voice belonged to sebastian, lani's older brother. sebastian was rather tall and his dark hair fell just to his warm eyes, reminding many of their mother. 

leilani and sebastian had their mother pass away at a very young age, neither of them getting to know her very well. they had grown up with sirius, as their father, and remus— well, as remus.

"excuse me mister prefect," lani rolled her eyes.

"watch yourselves this year," he pointed to evelyn and lani. "a couple bad moves and you might just earn a detention from me."

evelyn gaped at him, dramatically. "as if."

"i'm warning you, potter," he raised his eyebrows at her, then turned to harry. "you too."

"i never get into trouble!" harry gasped, insulted.

"really?" sirius came in, remus following closely behind. "many people in this room could disagree."

"i don't," harry looked at the ground. "trouble usually finds me first."

"exactly!" lani agreed.

"bold of you to agree with that," sebastian scoffed.

"no she's right, seb!" evelyn agreed. "trouble finds all of us, isn't that right harry?"

"this is why i'm not going to hogwarts with her," harry said, turning to his mother.

lily laughed. "put it up with dumbledore."

"hate to break this up," a smiling remus said, who was also listening to the quarrel until now. "but we better get going."

"gladly," lani grinned, grabbing evelyn by the hand and rushing towards the door.

━━━━━━ 

b's notes

first chapter is very similar to the draft bc i didn't really have much i wanted to add to it LOL