𝟎𝟎𝟗. why's my hair blonde?

━━━━━━ CHAPTER NINE.

━━━━━━ 

"it's not my fault ginny didn't come get you!"

"this is a sign never to trust gingers," lani groaned into a pillow. "we got caught because we were in front of the portrait too long and filtch found us!"

"besides, you didn't even get the invisibility cloak," carina pointed out as evelyn opened her mouth furiously to answer.

"yeah well—"

"what happened to ginny?"

everyone turned to rory, who asked the question. benjamin seemed to be thinking the same because he looked up from the floor.

"well, we don't know, do we?" lani said. "we just know she wasn't there."

benjamin sighed. "to any other house, it's that she wasn't there. but to us hufflepuffs—" he looked at rory, who nodded in agreement, "—it's why she wasn't there..."

"and what's that supposed to mean?" evelyn said angrily. "look, when I got up to find the cloak she wasn't in bed, so i just thought—"

"she wasn't?" rory interrupted. "that's odd."

"i know, which is why—"

"where do you think she went?" benjamin asked.

"i don't know, she doesn't leave often—"

"really?" rory rested her head on her hand.

"yeah, and—"

"hey guys?"

"what?" evelyn grumbled exasperatedly, then turned to see ginny standing in front of them. "oh... sorry ginny."

"it's fine," ginny murmured. "so uh—"

"ginny," rory said, sternly. "are you alright?"

"of course i am!" ginny smiled forcefully. "why wouldn't i be?"

benjamin looked at her doubtingly. "you're acting awfully odd."

"well i'm fine," ginny repeated. "i'm going back to bed, goodnight."

"yeah, night."

as ginny headed for the dorm rooms, lani mumbled to the others,

"there's something red isn't telling us, isn't there?"

"you think?" carina replied.

***

"what're you doing?" lani asked after arriving at the library and seeing evelyn behind a book.

"hm?" evelyn looked up. "oh, just homework. you?"

evelyn was in the library nearly everyday now. not only was she still looking through every book for some kind of information on the book rory found in myrtle's bathroom, there was also the mystery of the writing on the wall. "the chamber of secrets has been opened", what did this all mean? but there was something that evelyn knew for sure, the chamber of secrets, whatever it was, had been opened fifty years ago. she overheard a couple of second-years saying that, apparently mcgonagall talked about it in transfiguration class. unfair.