𝟎𝟎𝟖. the game plan

━━━━━━ CHAPTER EIGHT.

━━━━━━ 

classes were beginning to get harder and harder throughout november and more homework was being piled up in dormitories. evelyn spent most of her free time in the library, but homework wasn't the only reason to that. she wanted to learn more about the special book in her bag and by dragging her friends to the library that day to tell them everything, she felt a million emotions at once.

"i dunno, ev," carina sighed. "we should leave it to the 'protectors' or whatever..."

"well maybe," benjamin gave her a look. "evelyn is suggesting we are the protectors."

lani shut her book quickly. "us?! who said?"

"oh, come on," evelyn rolled her eyes in annoyance. "why else would rory find it? coincidence? i doubt it."

"well..." benjamin thought for a moment. 

"sounds like a bunch of rubbish," lani shrugged as carina looked at their friends with a blank expression.

"fine," evelyn sighed. "i'll figure out on my own because you're all blind."

rory shut her book too, but slower. "no. we'll help, but there's only one way to confirm all this, isn't there?"

the others looked at her, waiting for her to talk. rory sighed.

"isn't ev is supposed to be the smart one?"

evelyn grinned at her comment. "i just like reading, but i do take in information well..."

"isn't that the definition of smart?" lani narrowed her eyes.

"i don't thi—"

"shut up you two!" carina looked over at rory, who's eyes were fixed on something.

she was looking over at a spot in the library, one that they had never payed much attention to. evelyn understood and she let out a small "oh!"

"the restricted section." she said softly. "perfect."

***

"the game plan is simple," lani said during dinner, in a low voice. "evelyn will take harry's invisibility cloak from the boys dormitories. ginny will let the rest of us into the gryffindor common room, where we'll wait for ev. then, we'll all get under the cloak and go into the restricted section, then find a book on weird books that don't make sense!"

"huh?" ginny looked up from her shepherd's pie. 

evelyn noticed how ginny didn't look like herself lately, and it seemed that rory noticed did too. she was no longer going out to see the quidditch team play, no longer bugging them to do their homework, no longer waiting to come down to breakfast with them, and no longer having the familiar glow in her eyes. she was constantly disassociating and her eyes were now filled of fear, confusion, and worry. evelyn and rory exchanged looks.

"the plan, ginny, the plan!" lani groaned and took a sip of her pumpkin juice, then looked at the five of them. "we do this tonight, alright?"