𝟎𝟎𝟒. the sorting ceremony

━━━━━━ CHAPTER FOUR.

━━━━━━ 

evelyn, lani and ginny had all changed into their robes when they felt the train stop. 

evelyn opened the door. "ready?"

the other two nodded. they left the compartment and walked down the aisle, looking around them as they walked. they picked seats around the end of the train, so it took a while to get to the door. while walking, they met another girl.

this girl had straggly, waist-length, dirty blonde hair. she had very pale eyebrows and protuberant eyes that gave her a permanently surprised look. she had a magazine in her hand and great big glasses on, which she looked at them through.

"hello," she said dreamily. "first year too?" 

"yep," ginny nodded. lani looked as though she was about to ask what she was wearing, but evelyn stomped on her foot. while lani's eyes watered with pain, ginny had a conversation with the girl.

"you're a weasley, aren't you?" the girl looked at ginny. 

ginny nodded. "yeah, ginny weasley."

"how nice," the girl adjusted her glasses and smiled in the same dreamy way she talked. "luna lovegood. you ought to be careful," she said to lani suddenly, who was taken aback. "i've heard there are a lot of nargles around here, i wouldn't want to stay around them if i were you," she nodded at her. lani looked at evelyn for some kind of help, who simply nodded in a mock sort of way.

"yeah lans, you don't want to go around looking for the nargles."

"i can't believe a ginger is talking to me right now."

ginny turned around, her red hair whipping around as well. "excuse me. i'm fond of gingers, thank you very much."

"i'd be surprised if you weren't. your whole family has red hair."

"oh plea—"

"come on, we're nearly there," evelyn interrupted as she saw luna get off. evelyn hopped off the train and the other two followed. 

the cold, night's wind hit them. shivering, evelyn, lani, and ginny looked around. suddenly, they heard a voice.

"firs' years! firs' years this way!" a voice yelled. they turned to see a giant man leading everyone to some boats. "this way please! no more than four to a boat!"

they moved to get onto a boat. before they did though, they heard someone calling for them.

"hey, wait!" it was cynthia diggory. "good luck, alright? don't believe anything ron's told you," she added to ginny. "you'll do perfectly fine. we love you no matter what, bye!" and she raced to get back with the older kids who were all going in the same direction.

ginny let out a sigh of relief, clearly she was still worried. the three of them got onto a boat with another boy, who looked shy and almost disappointed that they had chose this boat to get onto. 

"hello," evelyn smiled kindly at the boy sitting next to her. "you look sweet, i'm evelyn potter!"

the boy looked at her and returned the smile, although it was smaller. he had curly brown hair and a comforting look in his eyes. "thank you, my name's benjamin caddel."