𝟎𝟐𝟎. birthday boy

━━━━━━ CHAPTER TWENTY.

━━━━━━

july 30th, 1993

"you've lost your touch, lani."

"shut up."

the potter and black children were all sat at the dining table in potter manor. leilani had a pack of bertie bott's every flavour beans in front of her, insistent on getting one in evelyn's mouth. clearly, she was failing.

"you're three for three, lans!" sebastian drew an imaginary check in the air, laughing. "i think we've found ourselves the slytherin quidditch team's new chaser."

"don't give them the burden of it," evelyn shook her head, grinning.

"they're already shit," harry scoffed. "honestly, putting lani on their team would be an improvement."

but lani payed no attention to their snarky remarks. instead, she reached for another bean.

"quit talking and open your mouth wider."

evelyn rolled her eyes as she did so. lani closed one eye to get a better aim, and cautiously threw it into her mouth. 

"ha!" she pointed at sebastian. "take that!"

"i'm impressed," his eyebrows rose. "now do it again."

"absolutely not," lani pushed the candies away as james and sirius walked into the kitchen.

"you're still doing this?" sirius shook his head amusingly. "what flavour, evie?"

"toothpaste," evelyn sighed.

"you need it," harry shot back.

evelyn opened her mouth quickly, but stopped herself. "i have to be nice to you, it's your birthday tomorrow."

"how kind of you," harry let his mother plant a kiss on the top of his head, who had just walked in with remus.

"what do you want to do for your birthday?" lily asked him.

harry shrugged.

"thirteen's a big one, harry," remus smiled. "are you sure you don't want to do anything special?"

"i'm not sure," he mumbled. "do i have to do something special?"

both 'yes' and 'no' emerged from the table.

"james," lily sighed.

"lily!" james retorted. "our first child is becoming a teenager, and what do you want to do—pick flowers and sip butterbeer?"

"trust me harry, it's not a big deal," sebastian rolled his eyes. "it's practically the same."

"it is not," sirius said stubbornly. 

"what do you want to do, harry?" remus asked him.

harry, who had been looking quite anxious at this sudden uproar of his birthday, pushed his glasses up.

"see my friends," he finally said. "and, er—i dunno... nothing big?"

"sure, love," lily nodded. "i'm sure we can get ron and cindy and hermione all over here."