lies

Newt's pov

We are in the scorch and Teresa spends too much time with Thomas, my boyfriend.

I don't like her. I never liked her.

"Teresa? Can I talk to you?" I ask her one day. She looks at me confused because I never talk to her.

"Sure." Slowly, she gets up and follows me. Everyone, including Thomas, stares at us.

"So..." She asks when neither of us says anything.

"Why do you spend so much time with Thomas?" I ask. I thought she would look shocked but she doesn't at all.

"Do you really think he likes you?" Teresa asks laughing. "Every time we go away from the group to talk, we don't really talk."

"What should you be doing then?" Would Thomas really cheat on me? With her.

"You don't want to know what we do." She laughs but she sounds like a witch.

Tears start building up in my eyes but I blink them away.

"He wouldn't do that to me." I say. My voice sounds shaky.

"He is just your boyfriend because he feels sorry for you. He will break up with you soon. He loves me. How could he love you?"

"Shut up! You're bloody lying!" I shout at her and she flinches.

"I'm not!" She screams back.

I'm about to grab her by the collar of her top to hurt her, when a  warm hand grabs my shoulder.

I turn around to see Thomas, still holding my shoulder.

"Did you ... hear us?" Teresa asks. She sounds scared.

Finally, the tears start falling down my cheeks.

"Yes. I heard you. How can you say such things, Teresa? You know that you are lying. I thought I could trust you, but apparently, I can't." He sais.

I wrap my arms around his torso, still crying like a bloody baby.

"It is okay, darling. She was lying. I love you." He soothes me.

"No. She is right. How could you love someone like me? You shouldn't like me."

I burry my face in the crook of his neck.

"Stop saying that. You are a wonderful person, Newt. You are my world. You mean everything to me."

He lays a finger under my chin which forces me to look into his beautiful eyes.

"I love you." He leans forward until our lips touch.