tears

Thomas' pov.
I am walking around the glade, when I hear quiet whimpers as if someone is crying. I follow the sound behind a hut.

Teresa is standing there, tears streaming down her face. "Teresa! What happened?", I ask, concern lacing my voice.

She starts crying harder, loud sobs escape her mouth. I go closer to her, until I am standing directly in front of her.

How can we possibly escape this place?, She asks inside my head because she can't form any words right now. Her whole body trembles.

Carefully, I embrace her and she leans into the touch, sobs into my shoulder.

We can do it. I know it. I will find a way out., I promise.

The tears are getting less and she calms down. She looks at me with her blue eyes and before I know what is going on, she leans in and our lips touch.

I don't kiss her back, but I don't pull away either. I know that I shouldn't do it. I have a boyfriend, I don't love her, but I'm too shocked to move.

There is a gasp to our left, followed by the sound of someone running away.

I pull back and turn my head in that direction, what I see makes me feel sick. Newt is running away from us, his limp showing more than usual. 

Teresa, next to me, smiles at that sight.
"Was that your plan?", I ask, horrofied.

I don't need to hear the answer, I know it by the way she looks at me with an innocent smile yet guilty.

I look at her one last time, anger flashes over my face, before I turn around and follow Newt.

I run into the deadheads, where Newt headed. I feel like I am guilty, like I am the one who decided to kiss her and break Newts heart, but I neither wanted to kiss her, nor kissed her back.

I follow the loud sobs, coming from the blonde boy. He is sitting on the ground, knees pulled to his chest, his head resting on top of his knees.

"Newt...", I whisper.

He looks up in fear, but when he sees me, his expression changes to anger.

"Go away!" He sounds tired.

"No, please let me explai-" I start but he doesn't let me finish my sentence.

"I said, go away! I don't want to see you!" Now he is screaming, crying and he looks like a mess. It is all my fault. I should have pushed Teresa off of me.

"I won't go until you let me explain what happened." My voice sounds strong, but on the inside I'm breaking. I hate to see Newt like this.

He doesn't say anything, he just looks at me, so I sit down next to him and start talking.

"I never wanted to kiss her. She was crying and I tried to comfort her. She just kissed me and I was too shocked to move. I'm so sorry. I love you and only you, Newt." Tears are glistening in my own eyes when he looks away from me.

"Are you sure that you love me? You could have her, why would you love me?", he asks.

"You might not be perfekt, but you are perfect for me." A tear escapes my eye and rolls down my cheek until it falls to the ground.

"You think that?", he asks, eyes wide with curiosity.

"Yes, Newt. I love you." I lean in and press my lips onto his. Without hesitation, he kisses me back, our lips moving in sync.

I let my tongue glide over his bottom lip, asking him to let it in. He opens his mouth, so I can deepen the kiss.

My right hand rests on his neck, my left is caressing his cheek. His hands are cupping my cheeks.

"I love you, Tommy. It hurts to see you with Teresa.", he admits. I press a gentle kiss onto his forehead.

As if on cue, Teresa speeks in my mind.
We are supposed to be together. You can talk with me in my head and not with Newt.

Her words make me want to punch her, but I don't want to leave Newt alone.

No we don't, I don't love you, I don't even like you. Don't talk to me again., I answer.

But, Tom., she tries to say, but I cut her off.

Don't. Talk. To. Me.

After that, everything I hear is silence. I look at Newt, whose head rests on my chest and his breathing is even. He fell asleep.

I carry him to our hut, lay him in the bed and lay down right next to him. I whisper a last " I love you", before I fall asleep as well.