¢нαρтєя 23

DAVINA CLAIRE HAD A DISPLEASED EXPRESSION on her face when she greeted them. "Oh, Finally," she says when they arrive late. But the discontentment didn't last long. "And I see you got a little guest with you," she smiled as she looked at Hope, who was safely tucked in the secure arms of Freya.

"Hello, Hope," Davina greeted me with a cute smile, running a finger down my cheek. And I gave her a smile in return. "D," I grinned.

"Ooh, you remember me, huh," She cooed, poking my cheek. "Did Marcel give you the training?"

"Marcy," I agreed, nodding my head.

"I left her with him just one bloody day," Rebekah voiced out with a slight pout, "And she already likes him and has him around her little finger."

"Marcel's hard to not like," Davina smiled up to the blonde vampire turned witch. She then turned to Freya with a solemn expression, "I already got everything we need - your mother is waiting for us, come."

Rebekah took me into her arms as Freya went along into the mausoleum. The little one watched as the two sisters gave a customary greeting to their mother, Esther. The all-powerful Original witch was now stuck in the witch Lenore's body she inhabited months ago. After being turned into a vampire by Klaus and having no way to get back into her original body, Esther made peace with her current lifestyle.

And when Klaus gave her a choice to get out of their lives after compelling the mad hag to not do their family any harm in any way and literally asking her to die if she had any such thoughts, Esther chose to stay. She told him that she would like to make amends for all the grievances she caused to her own blood, and her first step towards that change started with helping the young witch Davina Claire by bringing her son Kol back to life.

Her sudden change of heart was still a surprise to the Original family. And very cautious, watching her every step to see what she was planning next. And to be entirely honest, they have every right to be distrustful of the senile witch, considering it was only a few weeks ago that she had been dead set on killing her newborn granddaughter without much remorse.

And let's not forget the fact that for the better part of her life or rather, the life after coming back from the dead, Esther's been all but invested in eliminating all of her offsprings all the while she preached she loved them all and was doing it for their own good.

Hope, though, liked to think the only reason they gave her the benefit of the doubt was that she helped them in eliminating her great aunt Dahlia by giving her blood and not screwing them over in doing so. And also the fact she was compelled to not make any sort of plots against them.

But whatever it may be, still, it doesn't mean Hope trusted her. Honestly, Hope would gladly spend a week with her spiteful step-grandfather Mikael as a sole company than spend a minute alone with Esther or Finn. From what she saw in her visions, the mother and son duo behaved like some kind of raving lunatics. Talking about genocides like it was an everyday thing, nutters, the both of them.

***

It didn't take much time for them to proceed with the ritual.

Davina picked up the jar of Kol's ashes she procured from Klaus. She removed the lid and poured its contents into the mixture of soil and water she had created in her stone coffin. She then stepped back from it, joined her hand with Freya, and once both witches rose their arms, they started with the spell.

"Fian en che en kanu! Fian en che en kanu!" They muttered the resurrection spell. With each chant, the pitch of their tone grew higher, and soon the magic had caused all of the lit candles around them to flare brightly.

Hope watched everything with fascination. She could do it too, she realized. A giddy feeling rose in her. She could do magic. She could do things so powerful as to bring the dead back to life.

Even though Hope had seen Freya do healing and comfort spells, and even when she did some accidental magic to stop the car engine and set a wooden doll on fire, it didn't feel this mind-boggling. But seeing such a magnificent spell at work with her own eyes hit differently. She suddenly understood her Uncle Kol's love for it; why he had been so fascinated by it. Magic was powerful, and when it would be wielded by competent individuals, villages would burn, a whole new species could be created.

Hope's eyes move from Freya and Davina to look at her grandmother. Esther had stood to a side looking after the proceedings with a keen eye of a thousand-year-old experienced witch. And as though she felt Hope's eyes on her, she turned. And Hope suddenly wished to ask how her grandmother was feeling. How she was dealing with the lack of magic. It would have been a part of her for a thousand years. So how did it feel to lose it all so suddenly? Did she feel empty? Did it feel like something clenched her insides in a tight fist? Would she be okay eventually?

Hope tears her eyes away from Esther and hides back in the hollow of her Aunt Bekah's neck. She fights an urge to sigh. It seemed she would always have a soft spot for her new family members, no matter how mad, raving, and dangerous they are — Her and her broken, dysfunctional family; Always and Forever it is.

It was only when Rebekah's hold on her tightens ever so lightly does she turn. All the candles around them died out, and the chanting stopped. When looked at the stone coffin, they could clearly see the soil, ash, and water mixture had been completely solidified.

With bated breath, they wait.

The mixture slowly began to crack, and after a moment, a hand burst from within it. An excited smile crossed Davina and Hopes faces as the body started to break out from within the soil and ash. And even though Bekah and Freya seemed confident enough with the spell work, a smile appeared on their faces as well while they anticipated the arrival of their roguish sibling, who had died one too many times now.

And when Kol Mikaelson finally did rise up, covered in soil and ash, their smiles grew wider and their eyes warmer. And the reason for their smiles looked absolutely surprised and enthralled to be back. But he didn't show it for long as a grin broke his face and slowly turned into a charming smirk.

"I never doubted you for a second, Davina Claire," He said.

And Hope couldn't contain the happy squeal that left her lips at the beautiful confession, making everyone turn in her direction while she was at it.

***

Well, I sure did take time for that.

And I am sure you don't want to hear any of my half-assed excuses, so just tell me how it is.
And also, it seemed you guys have tons of questions, like how Esther and Mikael are still alive, and it literally breaks my heart to know that you haven't read my chapter thoroughly.

Kidding.

Not.

But, yeah, hopefully, this chapter should help you out as to why Esther still lives to see the day.