II-A Game for Two

Episode 1

Episode 1

Openings

Part II

Kentucky, 1957ish

A Game for Two

♕♛♕♛♕♛

I was way ahead of my class in math. My mom was good at math, if I remember correctly. The first math quiz I took, I finished early. All my classmates were still on the first problems. The teacher came over to review my work and a look of surprise shot across her face. To fill up time, she told me to bring the erasers down to the basement and clean them.

The basement was a scary place. To some people.

I stepped down the stairs slowly, taking in as much as I could. I didn't mind it. It was dim and dirty. There were only two windows and a single overhead lamp barely lit up the place. It was significantly cooler than the rest of the Methuen building, and served mostly as a storage room.

And a place for Mr. Shaibel.

I saw a portly man sitting at a table. I figured he was the janitor.

I started to bang out the erasers, worried I would disrupt the man doing whatever he was doing. As I looked closer, it appeared he was playing some sort of game. There was a board with black and white squares and black and white pieces. He was moving the pieces towards one another, starting with white and then switching to black.

The game looked-- beautiful. The pieces were all shaped differently, with intricate curves and divots. As I moved closer to the man trying to see more of the game, he suddenly looked up at me. Embarrassed, I quickly turned around and left the basement.

That was my first encounter with Mr. Shaibel.

♕♛♕♛♕♛

Later that day we stood in line to get our vitamins. Jolene got hers before me, and when she walked back from the counter she looked at me and stuck out her tongue to reveal the green pill. She took it off her tongue, placed it in her dress pocket, and smirked at me. I assumed that was a suggestion to save it for later.

So I finally decided that night would be the night I took her advice.

I was lying in bed, playing with the pill between my fingers. I examined the dark green end and the light green end. Harmless, it looked. I popped it in my mouth and gulped it down.