XXIV - Spinning

Episode 6

Adjournment

Part 4

Kentucky, 1967

Spinning

♕♛♕♛♕♛

The taxi cab rolled to a stop outside my front door. I couldn't wait to get inside, the abrasive sunlight was hurting my eyes. I brushed the buildup of mail aside as I stepped through the doorway. Not even before I could put my suitcases down, the phone rang.

"Hello."

"This is Dick Chennault."

Chennault? The name didn't ring a bell. I waited for an explanation but the unknown man didn't seem to offer one.

"Um..."

"Your lawyer."

"Oh."

"I tried to get you three times yesterday, and the day before. Where you been?"

Where've I been. Good question. It was a question I would hate to be answering these next few months.

"...In Paris. Playing chess." My stomach lurched at the sound of my reply but I tried to hold it in.

"How sweet it must be."

"What is it I can do for you Mr. Chennault?"

"Uh, it's uh, it's Wheatley. He doesn't wanna sign."

"Sign what?"

"Title. For the house." Bastard. "Can you get over here so we can work it out?"

"I don't see why you would need me. You're the lawyer. And he said he would sign whatever was necessary, so..."

"Oh, well apparently he's changed his mind."

I took the phone away from my ear and held it against the crook of my neck. I let out a big sigh. This was going to be an agonizing process. Anything dealing with my father always was.

♕♛♕♛♕♛

The day came where those two cumbersome men knocked at the door. I put on some house slippers, my best fake smile, and wore Alma's robe confidently. I didn't want to see Allston at all right now, or deal with any of his shit. If Alma were here, I wouldn't have to. So I did my best to embody her in situations like these.

I sat in the arm chair across from the two men who sat on the couch. Dick was practically Allston's messenger, as he did not look at me once during the whole conversation.

Dick said that Mr. Wheatley was only allowing me to stay in the house as a temporary fix while I was looking for a permanent residence. He said that I misconstrued his original words.

Lies. All lies.

"That's not true. He said I could have it. Remember?" I said, directing my gaze to Allston.

Allston squirmed uncomfortably at the far end of the couch.

"Can't you even look at me? You adopted me, can't you talk to me?"

"Alma. Alma wanted a child." He muttered.

"You signed the papers. You took on the responsibility."

"Alma wanted to adopt you, not me. You're not entitled to everything I own, just cause I signed some papers to shut her up. Not that it worked."

"You adopted me. I didn't ask you to. You're my legal father." The words tasted bitter as they left my mouth.