XI- The City of Lights

Episode 3

Doubled Pawns

Part 3

Las Vegas, 1966

The City of Lights

♕♛♕♛♕♛

The Mariposa Hotel was like something out of a movie. It glittered all around. It was like there was stardust in the air. I didn't feel out of place, even given my humble background as a Kentucky orphan-schoolgirl. Places like this were where I wanted to be, where everyone stood out. Where the ladies smelled like silver and gold, toting freshly shaven men beside them like a brand new purse. I wanted to be part of something where I felt like my presence was a gift, where every time I passed someone I would earn a lingering gaze. I loved feeling like an absolute gem in Las Vegas.

I never got sick of walking up the marvelous staircase that was the crown jewel of the lobby of the hotel. Made of white marble, it felt like the stairway to heaven. I got to have my own little shining-star moment every time I was on it. This time I was going to my room to drop off some bags. I just went dress shopping, yet again. It was becoming quite a pastime for me.

But as I reached the second floor, a voice called my name. A voice that I second guessed I was actually hearing. A rich voice that I haven't heard since the Kentucky State tournament.

"Harmon?" He was dressed in all black.

"Townes!"

"That is you." He walked forwards slowly, as if trying to believe I was even real. "My stars, you look..." He searched for a word to describe my appearance. "...Wow!" He stuck his arms out in astonishment.

"Thanks." I did a modest little curtsy.

"You're welcome." He didn't take his eyes off me.

Fuck. I had to walk away, I could feel the childish feelings of desire rising in me. I thought I had left those feelings in the past, back in Kentucky. Beth, that was 3 years ago. It's time to stop acting like the 15 year old school girl you once were.

"I thought we might bump into each other when I saw your name on the tournament list." He was following me now, even though I was going in no particular direction.

"I didn't see yours."

"I'm not playing." If he wasn't playing, what could he possibly be doing here? Just my luck. "Chess Review sent me to write it up. I must confess, I was hoping to see you here last year." We weaved in and out of the chess tables set up beside the second floor balcony. It felt like a stupid game of chase.

"I was supposed to. I even paid the fee, but my mother got sick. And I didn't want to come alone." It was true. I knew how much Alma loved traveling with me on our little chess adventures. And I couldn't have left her alone, sick and depressed. She needed me.

"She alright?"

"Fine." I said a little too confidently. "I should've come on my own, but I told myself that the Open's not as important as the US Championships." I confessed. If it were the Championships, I selfishly would've probably left Alma by herself.

"Oh, no. No, it's not. But I'm sure glad you came." He stepped in close to me so that we were walking side by side. I could smell his cologne. Beth, don't get used to this.

"It's probably a good idea for me to play in something other than the events I pick for the money." I told him.

"Looks like you're making a lot."