IV-Impulse

Episode 1

Episode 1

Openings

Part 4

Kentucky 1957ish

IV- Impulse

♕♛♕♛♕♛

We were watching a movie about manners when Mr. Ferguson whispered to me that Mrs. Deardorff would like me in her office.

My stomach sank as I pondered the idea of never being able to play chess with Mr. Shaibel again.

If that's why I was needed... Hopefully not.

I was relieved to know that the meeting I was needed for was about Mr. Ganz taking me to Duncan High on Thursdays to play chess with the chess team.

He said he would like me to play all 12 members in a simultaneous. My brain cramped trying to figure out what the word meant. Apparently it meant doing what I did playing Mr. Shaibel and Mr. Ganz at the same time-- but with all 12 highschoolers.

Mrs. Deardorff was giving the man a hard time about letting me do it. She said she was "weary of letting Elizabeth go off to the local highschool." She would only let me do it if I was accompanied by a female chaperone. So Mr. Ganz said a student named Shirley Munson would accompany me.

"What do you say, Elizabeth? Do you want to play chess at the highschool?" She looked at me.

"Yes. I'd like to." I tried to say politely.

So it was settled. I would be picked up after lunch on Thursday to go beat the Duncan high kids.

"I'll see you then." Mr. Ganz said to me as he left.

I was about to leave Mrs. Deardorff's office myself, but I heard my name as I stood up. I turned around and I felt that sinking feeling I'd hoped I wouldn't have to feel.

"Elizabeth, I'm told you've been playing chess in the basement with our custodian. Mr. Shaibel."

"Yes ma'am." I tried to keep eye contact but I was struggling.

"This is very irregular, Elizabeth. We can't have that. As much as Methuen believes in excellence, we can't have you playing chess in the basement." I looked down at my toes.

"I believe there are chess sets in the game closet. I'll have Ferguson look into that." I hated this. "Mind your manners at the high school." I left wanting to cry.

♕♛♕♛♕♛