VIII-The First of Many

Episode 2

Exchanges

Part 4

Kentucky, 1963

The First of Many

♕♛♕♛♕♛

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of rain pouring into the street. I stepped out of bed and held a pillow close to me as I looked out the window. But instead of thinking about getting back to sleep so I could beat Beltik in a few hours, my mind immediately went to my mom. Not Mrs. Wheatley. My real mom, the one who attempted to abandon me in a suicidal car crash. She's been terrorizing my dreams for a few nights now, especially since I've finally found a home and a new family. She haunted me everywhere I went, but yet I still missed her. I couldn't help but think about what my life would be if she was still here.

Beltik was late and I sat in that stupid chair surrounded by a crowd looking at the empty seat across from me for 13 minutes. I was playing white and I had been allowed to make my first move. I went with pawn to king 4.

The door finally opened and Beltik, wearing a brick red shirt that was frankly unflattering for him waltzed in with his second cup of coffee, the reason he was late. He took a slurp and analyzed the empty board as if we were halfway into the game.

"Harry Beltik. What's your name?" He stuck out his hand while standing up.

"Beth Harmon." With a sarcastic smile, I grabbed it and let go immediately as if touching a hot pan handle. It was barely a hand shake, because I was so ready to get this game over with and walk out as Kentucky State Champion.

I used Levenfish variation, one of the openings Mr. Shaibel taught me. Beltik fought back hard with insane defense, and right from the first few moves I could tell my attack, my beloved trusted attack that I prided myself on, would be near useless against him. 

Beltik played fast, as soon as I hit his clock after my turn he immediately replied. It frightened me a little, and the amount of times he obnoxiously yawned definitely did not help. His yellow crooked teeth were wretched. I was getting physically and mentally heated. The further into the game we got, my stance was becoming weaker and weaker. I slammed the pieces down onto the board and aggressively hit his clock to try and hide my fear and assert dominance, but Beltik didn't care for any of that. He just kept on with the game as if it was his morning cup of tea.

I tentatively moved my king and he did the same. Most of his moves were just mirroring mine, and it was eating me up on the inside. The weight of the stares from the crowd surrounding us was suffocating me. I tried to just focus on the board and zone out of the real world and into the world of black and white, like I always do when I play. But this was by far the hardest game I have ever done, and I felt unprepared. I was searching for a way out but we both knew there wasn't one.

Suddenly it became hard to breath and my lungs felt like they were filled with water. I clutched my bag and cardigan and ran to the bathroom.

"Be right back." I managed to say. I waited 13 fucking minutes for him to start the damn game, he could wait one bathroom trip.

I clutched the side of the sink and tried to catch my breath. I reached in my purse for a little green pill, hoping it would show me the way out. I swallowed it dry then met my own eyes in the mirror.

"Oh come on you ugly piece of trash!" I exhaled out of clenched teeth, releasing some of my self-hate. "You can beat that fucker." I closed my eyes and bit my lips waiting for the sweet relief to kick in. I wanted to cry. I felt stuck. But I started to feel a tingling sensation and I directed my gaze to the ceiling through the reflection in the mirror. I saw the game that we were in and began plotting my escape.