X- Creativity and Psychosis

Episode 3

Doubled Pawns

Part 2

1963

Creativity and Psychosis

♕♛♕♛♕♛

I shook the resigning man's hand after his death due to my king. I wish I could say I felt bad, because the game must've been brutal for him. But I can't. It's nothing personal, and if I want to play in the US Open then I have to win.

I got out of my chair and saw my mothers face amidst the crowd surrounding us. She looked proud.

"It's so much more exciting than I imagined." She said as I walked over.

"Did you watch the whole game?"

"Of course." She said it like it was obvious. I was stunned and suddenly very thankful.

"Beth!" I turned my head and saw Matt and Mike come over to us.

"When he brought out his rook, then took that pawn, I thought you were done for." Mike chuckled. "I should've known better."

"Yes. You should've." I joked.

"Elizabeth?" Alma cleared her throat. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friends?" I apologized and introduced them all to each other.

"Well, I don't know about you young people but I'm famished!" My mother exclaimed.

"There's a restaurant in the hotel lobby?" Matt suggested.

"Mm, show us the way?" My mother accepted.

When the twins were a couple steps ahead of us she leaned in and whispered to me.

"I can't make up my mind which one is more handsome." I rolled my eyes at her. I knew she'd been things like that this whole time.

♕♛♕♛♕♛

"I'd like to play in the US open." I stated during our lunch.

"You might win it." Matt said.

"Would that lead to playing abroad? In Europe, I mean?" My mother questioned, a sly smile on her face.

"No reason why not. They have to know you before they invite you." Mike answered.

"Would winning the Open make them know about me?"

"Hell yes!" Matt replied. "Benny Watts plays in Europe all the time now that he has his international title." I thought about our encounter the other day. I realized that if I wanted to get international recognition, I'd probably have to make it past him.

"How's the prize money?" That same smile was painted on Alma's red lips. I knew she was smiling for two reasons: One, because she saw all the possibilities that were open to us now that things started to come into perspective, and two because she enjoyed talking to a young and handsome Matt and Mike.

"Pretty good I think."

"Hm? What's pretty good?" Jeez, this woman was persistent.

"More than in the states."

"What about Russia?" I interrupted. The possibility of beating Benny Watts made me think I might be able to beat anyone, maybe even the Russians. The twins looked at me like I had a third eyeball.