III-You're Astounding

Episode 1

Episode 1

Openings

Part 3

Kentucky, 1957ish

You're Astounding

♕♛♕♛♕♛

The next day started out the exact same. I started in chapel, "went to the bathroom", and then made my way to the basement to play chess with Mr. Shaibel. We were well into a game when he took my queen. It upset me, and I tried to figure out how to move on without the most powerful piece on the board. As I went to pick up another piece, he stopped my hand.

"You resign now." He stated.

"Resign?"

"That's right child. When you lose the queen that way, you resign." He tipped my king so it lay flat on the board.

"No." My voice grew.

"Yes. You have resigned the game."

"You didn't tell me that in the rules." I was beginning to sound like a child who had just gotten their toy taken away as punishment.

"It's not a rule. It's sportsmanship." I didn't understand.

"I wanna finish." I put my king right side up.

"No."

"You've gotta finish!"

"No." He sounded calmer than I, but I could tell he was agitated. He got up. "You lost."

"Please." I tried not to sound desperate.

"The game is over." His back was towards me now, fixing himself a drink.

I was so mad. He didn't tell me that you could do that, I didn't understand. I also didn't understand the words that were about to fly out my mouth.

"You c0cksucker." I sneered. He quickly turned around.

"Get out." His words were sharp and clear. I immediately knew I did something wrong. I left as fast as I could.

♕♛♕♛♕♛

The basement door was locked for a long time after that. The next few days I gathered as many pills as I could. I would stick my tongue out to Jolene to reveal the pill I was saving for later. This became a regular thing between her and I. I played chess on the ceiling every night. If I couldn't play with Mr. Shaibel in the basement, I might as well make use of what I could do.

One morning I was brushing my teeth and Jolene got out of the shower.

"Morning cracker." She said. I decided to ask her about the word I called Mr. Shaibel. She said it all the time, so she must've known what it meant.