XIV

"You have to tell him," Ariana said as she spun around on the chair next to my desk.

"I know," I said as I lied back onto the bed. "But I don't want to," I whined before sinking my face into a pillow.

"I feel like I'm betraying him somehow just by being related to that man. Think about it, my father killed his father. His life has gone to shit because of it. It just isn't right," I continued.

I heard Ariana get up from my desk chair and walk closer to me.

"He still deserves to know, Hela," She said as she sat next to me at the edge of the bed.

"Yeah but I've known Jace since I was like five years old. If I tell him, I feel like everything changes. I can't stand the thought of him looking at me differently," I replied.

"Jace is not that type of person though. Your dad made his choices. You are not him, you are not associated with him at all, you didn't even know him until a week ago. Stop thinking you'll suffer consequences for actions that aren't even your own," She said as she pulled the pillow off of my face and looked directly into my eyes.

"He told me he was going stone skipping upstate with his uncle for the weekend so you have to do this today," she said.

I sat up. "I can just do it when he gets back," I suggested. "You can, but we all know that you won't. Now, get up," she replied as she pulled my arm.

I groaned. "I mean what's the big deal, anyway. What he doesn't know can't hurt him, right?" I asked as I sat up.

"No. You made it a big deal so now you have to come out and tell him. Plus weren't you the one who came up with the whole no secrets and no lies thing? Don't be a hypocrite, Hela," She said.

I sighed. "Fine," I replied as I got up from the bed and left my bedroom.

--------------------------------------
I was walking through the streets of New York but it was as if the noise around me was mute. All my concentration was on Jace and his reaction to the news I was about to give.

What if he gets mad or what if he never wants to speak to me again?

A relationship built over a decades time would go down the drain. All the memories we made and all the moments we shared would go to shit.

I stopped abruptly and turned around. It's none of his business and our relationship doesn't have to be destroyed over something so small.

I shook my head and stopped again. I turned around and continued in the direction of Jace's apartment building.

Maybe I was overreacting? I know Jace well enough to know he wouldn't change how he felt about me over this. We tell each other every little thing about our lives and he deserves to know this bit.

I finally made it to Jace's apartment building. I nodded my head in reassurance before entering.

What I tell him today shouldn't change anything because this piece of information doesn't matter. It doesn't define me.

I reached his apartment and took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

A few seconds later, the door opened and Jace's mother stood on the other side. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hey, Hela. How are you?" She asked.

My chest grew heavy from all the guilt I felt. I put on a fake smile and replied. "I've been good, Ms. Carter. Thank you. It's been a while since I've seen you."

"Yeah, I've been busy working. Come in," She said as she gestured for me to come in and I did just that.

"Jace is in his room," she said. "Would you like something to eat or drink?" she continued to ask.

I shook my head. "No, but thank you," I replied before making my way to Jace's room.

"Knock Knock," I said as I opened his door.

"Hey, You're back!" He exclaimed as he got up from his bed. "Am I able to give you a hug now?" He asked.

"Of course," I replied with my arms opened wide. He smiled before giving me a huge hug.

"Damn, the vibe is so much different than it was the last time I was here. Everyone seems...happier. It kind of feels like old times," I said when he broke away from the hug.

"Are you talking about my mom?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, that's because things are going well for her. She just got a promotion that came with a huge raise at one of her jobs which means she could finally quit the other one. And also she's actually thinking about going back to school to finish her degree," he answered.

"Wow, that's so awesome!" I said as I leaned against Jace's desk.

"Yeah, I know but something is telling me that wasn't the reason you came here, was it? What do you need?" He asked before taking a seat back on his bed.

I sighed. "There's something I need to tell you, Jace," I said.

"Shoot."

"During my trip to Asgard, I learned something new about myself. I figured out who my biological father was," I started. I took a deep breath before continuing, "It's Loki, he is my father. He is the person I was so desperately trying to meet and turns out he is the one man we have a shared hatred for. I'm so sorry," I said.

He stared at me in disbelief for a couple of seconds before he spoke.

"Why are you sorry?" he asked. "You did nothing wrong, Hela," he continued.

I stayed silent.

"What happened when you guys met?" He asked.

I scoffed. "I think you could imagine what happened when we met," I replied and he nodded.

There was an awkward silence between us that lasted for what felt like an eternity.

"Was that all you wanted to tell me?"

I nodded. "Yes," I responded as I stood up. "I have to go."

I couldn't stay in that room any longer. Although we were talking normally and he seemed forgiving, the vibe of our conversation still felt off. The air was tense and it was clear his tone when speaking to me was different from when I first walked in.

"Goodbye," I said as I left the room.

"Bye."