XVI

I sat alone on a bench at the park with a pencil and my sketchpad in hand. I was listening to music and sketching these two pigeons that were eating seeds in front of me.

"Boo!" I heard a familiar voice exclaim from behind me as they gently tapped on my shoulders.

"You're late," I said as Ariana sat down next to me.

"Didn't expect you to be early," she replied.

"I mean when you text someone to meet you at a certain location in a certain time, you would expect for both parties to arrive on time," I slickly responded.

"Jace is late," She quickly rebutted.

"Jace isn't coming though," I replied.

"What?"

"Do you not read the texts in the group chat?" I asked

"Sometimes,"

"He's not even in the state right now. He's in Florida visiting his grandparents. He said to call him so he can hear the news," I said as I pulled out my phone and video called Jace. Seconds later his face appeared on my screen.

"Hey, Jace! How's Florida?" Arianna exclaimed.

"Hey, guys! Florida's been good. It's great being around family. The beach is such a relaxing place. The only downside is you guys aren't here. I miss you guys so much," Jace responded.

"Aw that's so sweet," I said.

"Yeah super sweet..." Ariana added.

"So why did you have us all congregate here today?" I asked.

"I wanted to tell you both this face to face but I guess I'm gonna have to do it like this..." Arianna started.

"On with it, Ari," Jace rushed her.

"I'm moving. I leave like tomorrow morning," Arianna finally said.

"Moving?!" Jace and I both said in unison.

"Yes, my parents were assigned some long-term mission in Europe so we're relocating there," Arianna replied so nonchalantly.

"How long have you known this?" Jace asked.

"About a month."

"A month? So why are you telling us about this now?" I asked.

"Because you had your own issues going on with Jace, your dad, Asgard. I wanted to be there to support you through that and I didn't think me telling you about this was going to help any of that plus you guys know how I am; I didn't exactly know how to tell you, when the right time to tell you was, and was super scared of how both of you would react to the news. It wasn't until a couple of days ago while I was packing that I realized that time was running out and I needed to suck it up and tell you guys," Arianna responded.

"But can't you just stay with me at the tower?" I asked.

"I can and I was given the option to but you have to remember that those are my parents, Hela. I would miss them way too much. I'd rather just go with them and experience a different side of the world. I mean YOLO, right?" Ariana said.

Jace and I both nodded our heads in understanding.

"Right," I replied.

"Damn, I'm gonna miss you so much," I said as I gave Ari a massive hug.

"I'm gonna miss you too," She said as she laid her head on my shoulder. I soon heard sniffles and felt Arianna pull away from the hug. She had tears falling down to her cheeks.

"Fuck, I told myself I wasn't gonna cry," She said as she quickly wiped her eyes.

"It's okay to cry, Ari," Jace said.

Arianna smiled as she continued to wipe away the tears from her face.

"Thanks, guys for being so awesome," She said before looking directly at me.

"Hela, I need you to promise me you'll do something for me while I'm away," Arianna

"Sure, anything. Name it and I'll do it."

"Promise me you'll make amends with your father," She requested.

"No. Why would you even ask that? Are you blind or something? Can you not see the wreckage he's left on so many people's lives?" I stated.

"I've seen the way you look at my family and other people's family for that matter. You're not happy," Arianna replied.

I stared at her in disbelief at what she had just said. Her observation of me was spot on but who is she to just read me like that.

"I am happy, okay," I mumbled.

Ariana shook her head. "No, you're not."

"None of that concerns you, anyways. My family issues are not your business," I snarled.

"They are when you constantly involve me in it. Yes, I understand he's done some unforgivable things, and just to be clear, I am not giving him the benefit of the doubt or excusing his behavior in any way but don't you believe in second chances?" Arianna replied.

"Yes, I do but selectively and he doesn't qualify for that," I retorted.

"You've never had a real conversation with the man. Just-" Arianna started.

"Why are you so adamant about this?" I interrupted.

"Because-"

"It's very disrespectful of you to even mention all this in front of Jace. I chose Jace already. I would never do that to him, okay. I'm happy so fuck off," I said.

There was a brief moment of weird silence between the three of us before Jace finally spoke.

"Just talk to him," Jace said.

"Huh?"

"What is being mad at him forever going to do? What's done is done and I think it's time we moved on. After thinking about it for a bit, I don't think talking to him is a bad idea, you can find out how his mind works, and maybe even find some closure. So, yeah, I agree with Ari. You should at the very least have an actual conversation with him," Jace elaborated.

I stared blankly at Jace through my phone screen. I was speechless. Was he really advocating for me to talk to and possibly form a relationship with my father? The man who is responsible for his father's death. I just couldn't believe it.

"So is that a promise?" Arianna asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I nodded. "I promise."

I didn't say a word and neither did Jace. I guess Arianna couldn't stand the awkwardness in our complete silence because she just couldn't help but break it.

"So...when are you two lovebirds going on your first date?" Arianna asked.

"Um..." I started but didn't quite have a full response in mind.

"As soon as I get back next week, Hela and I are for sure going on a night out. My treat, obviously." Jace answered

I smiled.

"Guess it's a date," I agreed

"Was that all you needed, Ari? Because I have to go," Jace said.

"Yeah, that was all. You can go. I have to pack anyway so bye!" Arianna replied.

"Bye!" Jace said as he waved at the two of us.

Arianna and I both waved as we watched the call end.