XI

It was about midnight and I lied awake staring at the high palace ceiling. I couldn't sleep and the reason was unbeknownst to me. Usually, I'd call Ariana if I was acting like an insomniac but I can't right now which sucks.

Everyone was asleep so the adventurer that I am decided to get up and explore the palace. I got up out of my bed and changed out of my sleepwear and into something more casual. I exited my bedroom and roamed around the palace hallways.

I did this until I was stopped by a female voice.

"Hela?" The voice spoke from behind me. I turned around to see my grandmother.

"Yes," I replied.

"What are you doing up at this hour?" She asked.

"The real question is...what are you doing up at this hour?" I answered.

"I got carried away reading at the library," she responded.

"That's funny because I couldn't sleep so I decided to head over to the library," I lied.

"Well, do you know where it is?" She asked.

"Nope. Do I really look that lost?" I said and she smiled. "Well, darling, the library is in the opposite direction of where you were currently headed," she said.

"Oh," I said as I smiled and walked in the direction my grandmother was coming from.

"Dear, do you need me to show you where it is?" she asked sounding quite concerned.

"No, I'm fine. I'm sure I can find it on my own," I responded.

"Are you sure?" She asked one last time and I nodded my head. "Alright then...Goodnight," she said with her usual smile. She then placed a kiss on my cheek and went on her way.

"Goodnight," I replied before walking off. I continued to roam around the palace for another few more minutes or so before I grew tired. I was on my way back to my room when I came across a narrow corridor.

I silently walked along the path of the corridor until I reached the suspicious door at the end of it. I opened the door to be greeted with darkness. There was only a dim light that shined at the bottom of the steep set of stairs. I closed the door behind me and proceeded to go down the steps.

I finally made it down the stairs to see another door waiting for me. I tried to open the door but it was locked. I wanted to pick the lock but this wasn't any normal lock so I was unable to do so.

"Just great," I mumbled to myself. I already couldn't sleep and my curiosity was going to keep me up even longer.

I climbed back up the stairs and headed back to my room. I sat on the edge of the bed and started staring off into space until I finally started to drift off and fall asleep.

I woke up the next morning to a light knock at the door.

"Yes!" I groggily yelled.

"Breakfast is ready, princess," I heard a woman say.

I groaned as I sat up and began my morning routine. Soon, I exited my bedroom and headed to the dining room. When I entered the dining room, I was met with multiple stares coming from everything direction. I rolled my eyes. This whole staring thing was getting very annoying. I took a seat in the same place I did last night at dinner. The food was soon placed on the table and we all dug in.

"Did you ever find the library Hela?" my grandmother asked and I shook my head. "No, but I gave up fairly quickly though," I replied.

The only thing on my mind was that locked door that I found. My inquisitiveness was eating me alive wanted to say something to everyone about it but knew I couldn't because I already know what the reaction would be.