XVII

"Nooooo!!!!" I screamed.

Pop
Pop

Darkness was all I could see before quickly jumping up out of my slumber.

"It was just a dream," I mumbled to myself as a held my chest, trying so desperately to catch my breath.

I shook my head before gently resting my head back on my pillow. I just stared at the ceiling. I was too afraid to go back to sleep.

One moment, I see myself smiling and within seconds it all disappeared. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand to check the time.

It was 4:54 am.

Today was the day I go back to Asgard to speak with my father. I didn't exactly know how to feel about it. I'm nervous about how the conversation is going to go but the optimism inside of me has high hopes that it goes well. Nobody knows my true intention of going back, as far as their concerned, I just miss my grandmother, which is partially true.

Since I knew I wasn't going back to sleep, I got up off my bed and headed toward my desk. I opened up my sketchbook to a comforting page. It was a sketch of this woman whom I didn't know but I felt like I should. She just felt so familiar to me. The thought of her being my mother always crossed my mind but I never asked anyone for confirmation. I never showed my uncle this drawing in fear of being disappointed by either the answer or his behavior. This sketch was sacred to me and brought me comfort for some odd reason and I just wanted to preserve that for as long as I could.

I stared at the image for a while and smiled. I swear the resemblance between the woman and I grows stronger every time I look at it. I ripped the page out of my sketchbook and neatly folded it so it could fit into the jean pocket I planned to wear later today. I felt like the only person that would give me a gratifying response to my questions about that woman was Loki, that's if he's willing to speak to me at all.

I turned to a blank page in my sketchbook and began to sketch the sunrise as the sun rose in front of me.

By the time the sun had fully risen, my sketch was complete. When I was finally finished, I proceeded to do my morning routine and eat breakfast before meeting my uncle at the top of the tower.

"Are you ready?" He asked and I nodded.

"Heimdall!" my uncle shouted and before I knew it, I was being whisked away to Asgard.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Oh how I was so delighted when I heard the news that you were coming back and for me of all things," my grandmother said as she and I walked into the library.

"Yes! I mean practicing magic with you was so fun. You're like the best teacher. I couldn't be away for long," I replied.

"Well, I'm honored," she said with a smile. "Shall we begin?"

"Yes, but before we do I have something I want to say," I said.

"Okay. I'm listening."

"If I'm being completely honest with you. The reason I came back to Asgard wasn't entirely for you," I began.

"You wanted to see your father again too. I know," she interjected.

"You knew? How?"

"You're easy to read," she said.

"Not true. If I was so easy to read, why did no one else come to the same conclusion?" I asked.

"That's because no one else is reading you, darling," she said as she took a seat.