Chapter 3

Y/n POV:

I watch William sip his tea as I sit across from him. 'Albert was accurate with his earlier statement, this place is terrible,' I think to myself as I look around the room. My eyes briefly look over each occupant, a good portion of them smoking cigarettes and sitting with what appeared to be friends or acquaintances, but they were likely business partners, willing to cut each other down to move up the societal ladder. 'Not to mention all its occupants are ugly,' I silently laugh to myself, careful not to say a word or make a sound in this room.

The room's hideous appearance wasn't much better with the green wallpaper that lined the walls and the mismatched paintings that added no value to the room. Even though the furniture was only a few years old, they felt out of place and the red clashed with the green on the walls. 'I'll never understand why noblemen like these places. I may have only been inside a few, but I can tell there isn't anything special about them,' I reflect on the room as I ponder another idea. 'I suppose rats like to congregate in places that match the diseases that live on their backsides,' I quietly chuckle to myself as William begins to call out to a waiter.

"Ah, you there..." he calls out to the passing waiter who was carrying a metal tray, on top of which a teapot and a teacup sat.

"Yes, what can I do for you?" the waiter asks, turning to face William, preparing to follow any instructions given to him. William places his teacup down on the saucer and begins to question the server.

"Who is that gentleman who always sits over by the window?" William asks, manipulating his words so he will get the answers he needs and nothing extra. The waiter promptly answers my superior's question.

"Ah, that would be the Earl of Argleton. I am told he is one of the club's founding members," the server responds as the two of them look past me and look at the earl. I can't see him, due to my back being turned to him, but I can already tell he isn't anything extraordinary about him. 'Probably ugly like the rest.'

"Does that mean that the earl has had the seat reserved since the founding of the club?" William asks, making me silently applaud at his words. Ever since I have met him, I'm always impressed by everything he does, which may make me seem like a child, but I see it as he is always awe-inspiring. I rarely say anything on the matter though, I don't need him seeing me as a worshipper instead of an employee.

"No, that's not the case. However, the earl usually sits there whenever it is available," the waiter says as I see William narrow his scarlet eyes towards the figure sitting behind me. I quickly read his expression and seeing that the waiter had left to serve tea, I mutter a few words.

"Shall I follow you, my lord?" I quietly ask William, bringing his attention to me. He smiles while standing up, looking back to the earl.

"That won't be necessary," he says, making my face drop by a hair. "But I can tell you want to, so I give you permission to stand by," he finishes as walks over to the earl. Quickly, I follow behind him, suppressing my large grin.

'I'm going to love seeing the face he makes when William informs him we cracked the case,' I laughingly think inside my head as we approach the earl. He is looking out the window, likely looking at the victim's old playing spot.

"Your lordship..." William says, making Argleton face us. "It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is William James Moriarty," William introduces himself as the earl begins to eye me, making me undoubtedly uncomfortable. "And this is my butler, Y/n. They have simply been ordered to follow me around," William explains as he follows the lord's eyes. The lord looks back to William, making me breathe out a silent breath of relief.