Chapter 3: A Knife Throwing Lesson and a New Plan

Devon stretched her arms toward her toes as she sat on the ground in front of her phone, which was playing her favorite workout, and groaned as her ever-loose hair tickled the side of her face. Just ignore it until the end of this stretch. She commanded herself.

'and, release...' same the soothing voice of the woman in the video. Devon sat up and flipped her hair over her shoulder. She turned her phone off as she stood up, glancing at the clock. 30 minutes until school starts. Grab some granola bars; we can't be late. She hurried to get out the door, running into somebody when she spun around after she'd locked the door from outside the apartment.

"Sorry." The person said, backing away and punching a button on the elevator.

Devon recognized him as John's neighbor, the guy who's name she couldn't remember, "it's fine. You running late too?"

"Yeah."

Devon headed for the stairs instinctively.

"Wait, why're you taking the stairs? There's room for both of us in the elevator." He asked.

"More exercise this way." Came Devon's answer, the same one she used every time someone asked her.

She took off down the steps, reaching the bottom a little later. It takes a lot less time to go down stairs in a hurry than up stairs when you're relaxed. Devon powerwalked down the sidewalk, making for her school. The she suddenly remember, I forgot my sketch pad! Agh, I guess I'm running. She turned on her heel and jogged back into the apartment, brushing past what's-his-name as he came out, and up the stairs again. She was in and out and had the door locked as quickly as she could.

Needless to say, she was a little late for homeroom, but thankfully, so was the teacher so she went unnoticed. She sank into her regular chair, panting. I should really be in better shape than this! Maybe I should run to school everyday to get better... but I don't want to! Devon, if you want to join S.H.I.E.L.D. one day, you're going to have to get into better shape than this. We're running to school everyday.

MJ waved from her seat across the room, also on the back row and Devon waved back. Then the teacher brought everyone's attention to her and the day began.

Devon fell into step beside MJ on their way out of homeroom.

"Are you excited about the trip to Europe?" Devon asked.

"Sure. You?"

"Very. We still on for sketching this afternoon?"

"Yeah." MJ smiled, "see you then."

She ducked into a class room and Devon continued down the hall to hers.

"So, you messed up..." The detention video played on an old TV at the front of the room.

Devon and MJ had arrived early so as to not be noticed as much when the other few kids came in, followed by the supervisor. This strategy didn't work as well anymore because that's what MJ always did. At this point, the supervisor just ignored them. Devon had been doodling 3D shapes on a portrait that hadn't turned out at the beginning of her sketch pad, but now glanced up to study the faces who would be stuck in the room for the next hour and a half.

MJ had suggested that they not look at the other's drawing until they had both finished and afterward they would find someone to judge the two sketches. Whoever lost would buy the other a snack at the corner store.

Devon glanced from her drawing to check the proportions of her subject's eyes and eyebrows but he had his face turned away. Her gaze darted to the supervisor and upon finding him engrossed in whatever he was doing on his phone, leaned forward over her desk.