Chapter 14: S.H.I.E.L.D.

Stop. A command entered Devon's mind. She slowed her pace and dropped her arms as she stopped, her heart beating wildly. The fight had literally out flown her. A frown tugged the corners of her mouth down as she stared at the horizon where shots of green smoke and waves appeared over the buildings. Am I useless? She asked herself. What can I do to help?

The water in the cannel was perfectly still and the puddles the giant had splashed onto the sidewalk were trickling back into it. Devon bent and put her hand under a tiny waterfall over the cannel. The water ran seamlessly through her fingers.

"What do I do, God?" She whispered.

"Well I'm no god, but you can start by coming with me." A perfect American accented voice came from behind her, and it wasn't one she recognized.

She turned toward it and stood, putting her suit back over her hand and remaining invisible. A woman with black hair that was cut around her neck stood dressed in a black fighting suit, one that looked similar to the ones Devon had sketched time and time again on her favourite avenger. S.H.I.E.L.D.? She thought and her breath caught.

"I know you are there and I know you speak English so you understand me. You know our web-shooting friend and you came from America with him; what is your name?" The agent folded her arms, watching the water move in the cannel.

Devon made herself visible, "Are you with... " She started but stopped. S.H.I.E.L.D. was underground.

The woman glanced around and flashed an ID to confirm Devon's guess. S.H.I.E.L.D.! I didn't have to find it, it found me! Devon thought, squashing the grin that threatened to spread over her face, "Where are we going?"

"Follow me."

Devon turned invisible and obeyed. The agent led her through buildings and over bridges until they came to a paved street. She slid into the driver's seat of the black car waiting there and Devon climbed in shot-gun. Once the doors were locked, Devon turned visible again.

"I'm Agent Hill." The agent started the vehicle, "We're going to the underground S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. How long have you been working with Spiderman?"

"He was training me back in Queens since the beginning of September but we went separate ways before I came here on a class trip. I had no idea he was Peter Parker, did you?"

"Yes." She nodded, "How come we haven't heard of you before?"

"Because I've been training and keeping it secret. I was going to hunt you down and join S.H.I.E.L.D. if I could, after our school trip, but you found me."

"You want to be a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent?" She raised her eyebrows.

Devon looked the agent straight in the eyes, "Yes."

"Then if my guess is right, we're going to have more trouble with Parker than we will you."

         A half an hour later, Devon found herself in a dark, literally underground office. Computers lined some of the room and chairs were placed without rhyme or reason throughout it, on one of which Devon was sitting on with her mask off. A table with a holograph was in the center of the room. Agent Hill introduced another agent and left him to give her a rule book of S.H.I.E.L.D. that she immediately began to read.

An hour later, Agent Hill returned with the caped hero. Devon lifted her eyes from the book and watched him. The globe that had been around his head was gone, revealing a friendly, bearded face.