Chapter 20

'I don't understand any of these assignments.' I sat on my desk with a pile of work stacked in front of me. I sighed and plopped onto my bad, face forwards. I groaned at the thought of having to finish the assignments by the end of this week. I wondered if Yui and Akari understand this work. I picked up my phone which was plugged in the charger and sent a message to the group chat.

————————-
Y/n: Do any of you understand the assignments?

Akari: I only understand maths.

Y/n: How?! The work is too much for my last two brain cells.

Yui: Well I'm quite good at chemistry, so we could help you out. Takashi asked for help aswell, so do you all want to meet at the cafe near the school at 4pm?

Y/n: Thank you guys! I'll come.

Akari: Ok, see you guys then.
———————————

I turned my phone off and threw it onto my bed. I then went downstairs to get a snack.

'Oh look who finally decided to come downstairs!' My sister sat down in the living room watching the television.

'Look what's on the television.' Hoshimi voiced. I turned to see her watching our favorite show.

'Why didn't you tell me you put it on?! Make some space for me.' I forced a space for myself on the sofa and made myself comfortable.

'They remind me of you and Mabuchi.' She was talking about the main characters.

'How- who- why?' I looked at her with a confused expression.

'The characters clearly seem to like each other, but they're in denial, so they're now both confused idiots who don't know how to do anything and are awkward around each other. Just like you and Mabuchi.' She lay her head on the armchair and smiled. 'Do you see it?'

I sat down in silence for a second, before yelling, 'Mom! Hoshimi is doing it again!' I then walked out of the living room and went back to my room to get ready.

———————————

About an hour later, I finished getting ready and made my way to the cafe. My outfit wasn't too fancy, I just threw on a hoodie, some flare jeans and trainers. I wanted to be comfortable seeming as though we was going to be there a while. I took the train and soon arrived at the cafe.

I entered and saw Yui and Akari sitting at one of the tables. I walked over and took a seat. 'Hey guys, sorry I'm a bit late, the train was a delayed.'

'It's ok, we just arrived and we're waiting for the others.' Yui replied.

'Others?' I took my jacket off and placed it on the back of my seat. 'I thought it was only Takashi and the rest of us.' I placed my assignments on the table and searched for my pencil case.

'Yeah I thought it was only us too but Takashi said he was bringing someone else.' Akari said. 'But I don't know who it is, he didn't say.'

'Alright, well let's wait until they arrive then we'll order drinks and get started on the work.' I responded. 'Did you guys see the next episode of the show yesterday?'

'Yeah I did it was so good.' Yui replied.

We spoke for a few minutes before we heard Takashi yelling "hello" at the shop entrance, which caused him to get warned by the cafe workers. Pft. Idiot.

'Hey guys, look who came along!' Takashi came and took a seat beside me, revealing who was behind him. My eyes widened in shock. Why is Mabuchi here?!

'It's you again!' Yui pointed at Mabuchi. He didn't say anything he took a seat at the last chair which was beside Yui.

'Y/n, did anyone tell you that you look pretty today?' Takashi smiled. I awkwardly smiled back because I could feel a bad aura around me. I slightly turned my head to see Mabuchi glaring at me and Yui and Akari looking at me in shock. The atmosphere was awkward for a while, so I decided to break the ice.

'Um well, I'll get the drinks-' I was cut off my Mabuchi announcing that he'd go with me. 'Heh, uh well what drinks do you guys want?' They all gave me their orders and Mabuchi and I went to the front counter to place our orders. Once we did, we waited. In complete and total silence. Why am I always in awkward situations? And why is the order taking so long? Is it hot or is it just me? My head was filled with questions. I slightly turned my head to see Mabuchi staring at me.

'Is there something on my face or-?' I asked patting my face to feel if anything was there.

'You look different today.' He voiced; turning away from my glance. 'Are you wearing lipstick?' He continued.

'Yes. Is there are problem?' I said shifting my body so it faced him.

'It doesn't suit you.' he then proceeded to wipe it off with his thumb. He placed one of his hand back in his pocket the other, he used to grab the drinks, which were ready. I froze in surprise placing my fingertips on my lips. Mabuchi walked off to the table and I followed behind, making sure to keep distance. It felt hot and my stomach had that weird feeling.

I took a seat and stayed quiet, drinking my drink. I should've stayed home. This is very embarrassing.

We began studying after finishing our drinks, and of course I didn't understand one bit.

'Do you need help with that question?' Takashi asked looking at the book then back at me.

'Wait. How come you understand it but I don't?!' I asked.

'That's because i'm smarter than you.' He replied grinning.

'No you're not.'

'Yeah I am.'

'No.'

'Yes.' He laughed and then looked at my head. 'Oh wait there's something in your hair.'

'Really? Where?' I patted my hair to find what was there.

'I'll get it.' Takashi announced, reaching for my hair. I tilted my head down so he could, but I heard a light  slap of someone grabbing something. I looked up to see Mabuchi griping onto Takashi's wrist. He looked irritated and offended. Yui and Akari looked as confused as I was.

'Don't touch her.' Mabuchi muttered. He then let go of his hand and grabbed mine and his stuff. 'We're leaving.' Holding onto my hand, he dragged me out the cafe. Before leaving, I looked to see all three of them looking puzzled.

——————————
We made it down the street, but Mabuchi was still holding my hand. 'Hey wait! What's with you why are you acting like this all of a sudden?' I asked pulling my hand away from his. We stopped walking and his back was turned towards me.

'You don't get it, do you?'

'I'm lost. What don't I get?'

'..Nevermind.' He bluntly replied. 'Do you like him?'

'Why do you keep on asking that?! I don't see why it's any of your concern.' I was aggravated at this point. 'And what about you? You're always with that girl that got mad at me for wanting her to move from the doorway. Do you like her? You guys seem like a good match, you should get together, if you're not already.' Mabuchi abruptly turned his head around and looked at me, in shock. My eyes were already watery and my lips were slightly trembling. He glanced back away and looked down at his feet.

'Maybe I will.' he muttered, slowly walking away.

I stood in the middle of the street, the sun was beginning to set. I tilted my head up to the sky to make sure my tears wouldn't come running down.

Idiot.