Chapter 23

I went straight home once lesson ended. I didn't speak to anyone, not even a goodbye. I plugged in my earphones and listened to some music to get my mind off everything. I've had enough and I'm so tired.

I was walking at a slow pace so it took me longer to get home. I arrived home, then I took my shoes off and walked up stairs. Throwing my bag onto the floor, I plopped onto my bed and lay down for a while. 

'Hey, mom said-' Hoshimi entered my room,without knocking. She paused and observed my face.

'Please knock before coming in..'

'Yeah, next time.. Is there something wrong? You don't look any better since this morning.' She took a seat beside me on my bed. 'Did things not work out between you and Mabuchi?'

I turned my head and looked up at her. 'No. And I don't think they will, he's moved on, so now it's my turn to move on too.'

'It's not as easy as it sounds. It might take a while.'

'I don't care, as long as I do, then I don't mind waiting until I forget about him.'  I turned back around and faced my wall. Hoshimi sighed and stood up.

'I'll tell mom you feel sick so you can stay home for a few days.' She walked towards the door, muttering, 'Young kids these days. Was I this clueless when I was their age..?' She shut the door and left me to think things through. I ended up going to sleep after staying in my bed for so long. To be completely honest, It was one of the best sleeps I've had.

———————————-

My eyes fluttered open to the bright sun shining onto my face.

'Good morning, feeling any better yet?' My mom was sitting on a chair beside me and placed her hand onto my forehead.

'Ah, just a little bit.' I wasn't actually sick, but I didn't want to go back to school just yet.

'I'll go get you some water and soup, brush your teeth then get straight back into bed.' She stood up and I nodded my head whilst she  left my room and went downstairs.

I got up and made my way to the bathroom. I observed myself in the mirror for a minute. 'Wow, I look like a mess... Not that it's anything new.' I solemnly brushed my teeth and washed my face, before making my way back to my room. 

I came back to see the food that my mom left behind and a little note which said to take care of myself and that she'll be home soon. Smells good. I took the food and place myself on the edge of my bed. Out of nowhere, tears came streaming down my face. 'This tastes so good..' I cried. I asked myself why I was crying about the food. But then I realized I wasn't crying about the food, I was crying about Mabuchi.

I spent the rest of the day lying in bed, bored. I looked at the time and saw that it was the end of the school day. Yui, Akari and Takashi should be leaving school right now. I turned off my phone and placed it on my chest. Really hope that they don't think anything bad happened to me.

A few moments later, the doorbell rang. I figured it was Hoishimi since she always leaves her keys behind. I went downstairs and opened the door. 'I always tell you to not forget your keys why-' I was cut off by someone pulling me into a tight hug. I looked up to see Takashi, who looked concerned.

'Why didn't you come to school today? Are you ok? Are you sick?' He worriedly questioned me, pushing me slightly away.

'I'm fine, i'm fine. I just didn't feel well today. It's not that big of a deal.' I laughed.

'So you're sick? I'll go get you some medicine right now.' He turned to run to the pharmacy but I pulled his arm.

'I'm not sick, I just don't feel the best right now.' I walked into my house and gestured for him to come in.