CHAPTER 4 - PRAY FOR ME

Cast: Diane Russet as Mina

******

"Come, let us reason together"

I couldn't sleep. My father's voice was on perpetual re-runs in my head. I tossed and turned. The bed seemed even more uncomfortable tonight. I rolled from the bed and unto the floor with a thud. The wooden floor boards creaked slightly. They were old and noisy. But that was the least of my problems right now. I got up and walked around the caravan, I went to the kitchen, drank some water and splashed some on my face. It did nothing to relax me. I lay down on the bed again and stared at the ceiling.

What am I doing here? My father told me not to come. But foolish stubborn girl that I was, I rebelled. I often had episodes of rebellion growing up, but this time, I crossed a line I'm not sure I can get back from. My people say what an old man sees while sitting down, a youth does not see when jumping up. I never understood that saying... until now.

***********************************
"Mina sit down"

My father's loud voice boomed, startling me. We had been arguing for about 15 minutes and I had gotten too worked up to sit in one place. I grumbled and sat down on the worn out sofa opposite him.

"Wetin you talk?" He demanded. (What did you say?). Papa was educated but as was the custom in our neighborhood in Port Harcourt, we often switched to pidgin English during informal conversations.

"Nothing" I mumbled.

He glared at me and boy, my father's glare was intimidating. "For your mind you don grow abi? (You think you are grown up right?). Because you finished your exams last week."

"No Papa" I said quietly.

He sighed. "Oya make we talk". (Let's talk). Let's reason together. Why do you want to go?"

I sat up a bit, hopeful. Whenever papa used the "let's reason" phrase, it means he was actually listening. It means I got a shot at changing his stance. Based on experience, I often succeeded in doing that...nine out of ten times I think.

"Papa, it's America. It's the best place to study medicine. I don't just want to be a doctor, I want to be the best." I saw something like pride light up in his eyes. I was getting through. " I just want the best opportunity to be my best", I added.

"What if it's fake?"

"It's not fake." I defended hotly. Papa had suddenly woke up one morning and said he wasn't comfortable with my travelling out anymore. He didn't say much just that he had a bad feeling. I don't get it. We worked on all this together with aunty Boma. The school and scholarship applications, the visa interviews, we all travelled to Abuja for it. And now when everything was finally happening, he doesn't have a good feeling. "It's not fake". I repeated, more pleadingly this time. "The school called me. I got the admission letter. Everything is set...just the visa, which will be out next week."