CHAPTER 47 - NOT THAT SIMPLE

Mina's POV

Adam finally called and said plans were underway to bust the ring. He told me to be ready as it could be any day. My veins are pumping with adrenaline and a little bit of fear. But I'm ready.

I was born ready!

Okay, that is not true, but I'm ready now.

I just need to focus on other activities while I wait, so my nerves don't drive me crazy. Luke's been so helpful. He's been hyping me up and I'm soaking it all in like a sponge. If feeling like Katniss Everdeen is going to get me through this, then please hype on. But sadly, I feel like Prim.

The mayor's luncheon was set for this Thursday afternoon. On Tuesday, I went grocery shopping with Eve and I regretted it. I think she's worse than aunty Boma. We shuffled between three different stores at the mall comparing prices for items on the list. By the time we were done, my feet were aching, and my waist needed a massage. I don't know where this woman gets her energy. Now I know bargaining is a universal language.

Sam is now hired along with two other teenagers and even then, it's still a lot of work. Eve had to hire a vendor to handle the set up and decorations since it was an outdoor event, and we had no expertise in that area. By Thursday though, we were all ready and set up on the lawns at the mayor's mansion, yes a mansion. The place was so huge and beautiful. Who wouldn't want to live here?

"What's this luncheon even about?" I asked Matt who stood beside me looking uncomfortable. He kept adjusting his bowtie every two seconds. The guys had to wear bowtie and waistcoats on white shirt and black pants. The ladies just wore a simple black gown, nothing elaborate or fancy but presentable.

"Oh, it's just one of those events where he tries to spoil rich folks and make them like him. Elections are around the corner" He said and grabbed a champagne glass from a Sam who was walking by. They exchanged a knowing smirk.

The new staff were serving the drinks and they're doing great so far. First day of practice at the diner, about a dozen glasses broke. We had to switch to disposable cups until they perfected how to balance a tray.

"Are you supposed to?" I asked Matt eyeing the glass.

"I hate functions such as these" He said and downed the drink in one go. "Now I can pretend to be nice and friendly"

I grinned at him just as Eve came by. Matt hid the glass behind him in time.

"The guests are starting to arrive. Places, places." She said.

"You'd think this was a dance" Matt drawled, and I laughed. Eve shot us a look that said 'behave'.

The luncheon was very boring, speeches upon speeches and fake laughter, lots of fake laughter. But thankfully there was good music intermittently.

We just stayed in the corner where our table was set up under a canopy, completely invisible until it was time to serve. The guests sauntered to the table like they didn't care about the food making me roll my eyes. Did they know how many hours we spent to make this happen? And oh, they were extremely picky but we covered a wide range of dishes thankfully. I mean we began cooking by 6am. Just eat whatever you see on the table and let us be done and out of here. I'm sleeping for two days after this.

"Hi, can I have some grilled chicken and mixed green salad?"

I looked up to see a beautiful, petite, blonde woman wearing a royal blue dress in front of me.