CHAPTER 34 - BIRTHDAY GIRL!

Journal entry

If birthday wishes still come true, then Tet is alive. She is safe and happy. She still tells stupid jokes and laughs like a cricket. She is loved.

*****************
Mina's POV

I dreamt of Tetura last night. It was more like a memory but not the depressing one of us running down the alley way. It was a bittersweet memory.

"Mina, are you awake?'' Tetura asked as she walked in.

I raised my head from the pillow that I had soaked with my tears. It was four days after my initiation and I was still sore.

"You've been in here all day" she said softly. "The weather is beautiful today'

"I don't want to see it" I told her through sniffles. She nodded solemnly and sat down beside me.

"I have something for you. Guess" she said

"What is it?" I asked looking at her. I noticed one arm was behind her back.

"I said guess" she repeated with a smile on her face.

"I dont' care" I said and turned back to stuff my face in the pillow. I didn't want anything. I just wanted  to get out.

She huffed in defeat. "okay here it is. Come on now, look" she coaxed.

I looked and saw she was holding a cupcake. It had some frostings on it and a candle on top.

"Happy birthday Mina" she said in a singsong voice.

 I laughed despite my sour mood. "You put a candle on a cupcake?"

"Ehen. Cake is cake" she said with a sassy attitude moving her head from side to side.

"How did you know it's my birthday?" I was touched by her gesture and it lightened up my mood a little bit.

"You told me on your first day here when we were getting to know each other. Thought I forgot' she said and pinched my nose playfully.

"Aww" I protested holding my nose.

"Then sparkle's shopping day was today so I told her to help me get the cake" she continued.

"Aww...thanks so much" I said sitting up a little. "You should have got a bigger cake though. How do I share this with you?"

She laughed. "I bought a dozen actually. It's hidden somewhere in the freezer, for our mouths only" she whispered the last part and looked around guiltily.

I laughed but tears slipped out. The fact that someone was thinking about me in this horror house was making me emotional. The past few days had been so dark for me. Even though Tetura always brought me meals, sometimes I barely ate. The other girls were either mean or indifferent. I could have been invisible to them. But Tetura showed up for me.

"Make a wish before the candle goes out" she said. I closed my eyes for two seconds and made a wish, then blew out the candle.