CHAPTER 8 - PHOENIX

Journal entry
I still believe I can rise.

One week! One week and a couple of days till I vacate the caravan. I'm beginning to get very worried. I went to check out the motel on the other side of town. It is far from the heart of town and I will have to take a 10-minute bus ride to and from work every day. I do not want to incur extra expenses right now. Yes, Eve increased my salary to $200 a week, thanks to my awesome singing, and I did get in some extra money from tips, but I am saving up for a phone, at least a cheap one. I desperately needed to contact some people. I will probably have managed the motel if it was just the distance, but it was so run-down and unkept that I could imagine bedbugs on the mattresses and cockroaches in the rooms. I may not be rich but, I like clean places. The only other option was the hotel or an apartment, and I can't afford that. Damn the Crenshaws! Just when I thought I could catch my breath.

Right now, I am walking down the halls in Twinhills high. We came in early today so I figured I will say hi to Mr. Obi before lunch hour. I'm looking at the signage on doors as I go. The lady I asked at the front desk told me to take my second right, and then my first left...and then...aha! Found it.

GUIDANCE AND COUNSELLING.

I gently tap on the door and a loud voice calls for me to come in. I turn the knob and enter the office. It's not really small but it looks cramped. There's a large bookshelf stacked with numerous books by the side, a grey two-seater sofa by the corner, and an oversize table in the center. His face lit up when he saw me.

''Ah Mina, so nice to see you''. His voice was embarrassingly loud as usual, but it was filled with genuine delight. I smiled and stepped further into his office.

''Hello Mr. Obi'' He gave me a reprimanding look, but I laughed it off. ''Nice office'. I said, then noticed he didn't have a single picture, or plant, or splash of color anywhere. What a terrible compliment.

He waved it off. ''Nah...it's just average. Take a seat.'' He offered. I took one across the desk.

''So, how you dey? (how are you?)'' he said clasping his palms together seeming extremely pleased to be speaking pidgin.

''I dey fine oh". I smiled. "How e dey be for this domain nah?'' (I am fine. How are things going here?)

His brows creased a little ''ughm, well...e dey fine.''

I burst out laughing ''your pidgin needs serious work sir. How long have you been here''.

He laughed with me. ''About 30 years'', he shrugged. ''I came here with my parents when I was about your age. I was sixteen precisely''.

I nodded, taking in the information, then asked, 'Why here? Most Nigerian folks will settle in big cities where there are better job opportunities and more Nigerians. This town is just...too quiet.''

''True. At that time, however, the factory was trying to draw in more workers from neighboring towns which were developing at a much faster rate. So, they offered wages that were 20 percent higher, and accommodation. My dad took it and so, we ended up here''

''Wow,' I said. ''And you didn't leave after?''

''I got the job at Merton High after college. I figured I will leave when I got something better, but look at me now, I'm still here'' he said stretching out his arms wide is demonstration. I chuckled. ''I also kind of fell in love with the town. It's quiet but peaceful, you know. And my wife was also not keen on leaving so...''

'you're married?' I asked, surprised. And he was busy flirting with Mae. Men are so...

''widowed'', he corrected.